The € 750 Tax Credit, does the Irish Government really want young Irish Graduates to stay in Ireland?

We would need another referendum! The constitution would have to be changed first as Irish is the first language of the country.
It doesn’t seem to apply to other public or civil service positions?

Kids could still be thought Irish. The teacher that doesn’t have Irish would take another class for say French or German and m kids could be thought Irish by there teacher.

Say at least 50% of teachers in a school needing Irish.

It seems solvable.

It doesn’t seem to apply to other public or civil service positions?

Kids could still be thought Irish. The teacher that doesn’t have Irish would take another class for say French or German and m kids could be thought Irish by there teacher.
Say at least 50% of teachers in a school needing Irish.

It seems solvable.
Everything is solvable when there is a will. All primary school teachers have to be able to teach all subjects through Irish up to 6th class. This only applies to post primary teachers who teach Irish or work in a Gaeltacht school.
I do not know what level of Irish is required in other public service roles. All citizens have the right to request all Gov publications in Irish.

We would need another referendum! The constitution would have to be changed first as Irish is the first language of the country.
I doubt it. BTW I'm not proposing to scrap Irish language education in primary. In fact we should encourage it along with learning a European language.
Learning at 12/13 is too late , 4th classes could and should be the first introduction.
Again where there's a will there's a way.

Are you sure it's "most" who come back? Seems many of those leaving for Australia/NZ Canada after graduating are staying permanently. They are basically housing refugees.
I think it depends on where you go, who you marry and if you have kids etc. If you marry a local in some of those countries or once kids start going to school, it's a lot harder to move home. Similar to many of our Polish and Eastern European New Irish. Different if you move to the middle east where the lifestyle is perhaps less orientated towards families and where you are less likely to marry locally

Are you sure it's "most" who come back?
Absolutely. A large majority of Irish-born people who move abroad for a year or more return home.

You can work this out from CSO population estimates. For example in the year to April 2023 there was basically a balance in migration of Irish-born people.

Of the 64,000 emigrants, 30,500 were Irish citizens in the year to April 2023. With a total of 29,600 returning Irish citizens, there is close to zero net migration (-900 people).

But that includes many who go on what are basically extended backpacking trips plus temporary destinations such as Dubai. Those who leave after graduating in Ireland to take up professional positions overseas are much less likely to return I would have thought.

Last edited:
“Data” is not the plural of “anecdote”.
Fair enough but without more specific data it's anecdotal either way. How many Irish doctors/engineers/teachers/scientists have you heard of who gave up their position in Australia to move back to Ireland?

Last edited:
Fair enough but without more specific data it's anecdotal either way. How many Irish doctors/engineers/teachers/scientists have you heard of who gave up their position in Australia to move back to Ireland?
With 30 seconds thought I could mentally list half a dozen teachers I know, who taught in Middle East and / or Australia, and are now back here teaching again.

Although, I'm not from Dublin, and you're taking a Dublin-centric view of things... ;)

Teachers going to the Middle East almost all come back because their contracts are temporary and the UAE doesn't accept permanent immigrants. Doctors/engineers/nurses etc. migrating to OZ/NZ/Canada is a very different story AFAIK (but admittedly it's anecdotal).

Presumably Irish language requirements for primary school has something to do with stopping EU teachers from practicing.
If they were more enlightened a French or other European native school teacher should be considered a bonus, not an impediment! to teach.
I know of a few non-Irish pre-school teachers who are studying Irish to qualify for teacher training. Some of our pre-school teachers here are very well qualified Montessori or primary teachers abroad who are highly aware of the difference in pay and conditions between the pre-school and primary sectors here.

The Irish education systems moves at a glacial pace....actually slower. If we didn't make any changes 15/20 years ago when we started having sizeable communities from other countries or even during the pandemic where we didn't vary the school holidays despite having just returned from lockdowns then I hold out very little hope of structural changes like mentioned above, however merited they are.

The Irish education systems moves at a glacial pace....actually slower.
This is a good thing!

Many parents who’ve had kids educated at home and abroad (including yours truly) will tell you the Irish education system is very good.

Don’t just trust the anecdote - OECD data shows Ireland doing very well too.

Irish workers are the most mobile in the world.

Most of them “boomerang” and return home with more skills. This happens in booms and recessions both. I’ve done it myself and €750 a year wouldn’t have swung it.

Newspaper articles always mention the outflows but rarely the inflows.
No they are not. Americans are by far the most mobile.

Back