Termination of tenancy due to need to sell property

D

diehard

5 months ago I entered into a 1 year contract with tenants. Due to financial reasons I now need to sell the property. I have given notice to the tenants but they have gone to Threshold who have informed me (in writing) that I am not entitled to sell the propoert until the contract is up. My auctioneer believes that this is not correct and my solicitor is investigating. The tenancy act allows me to give 28 days notice of termination but does a contract superseed the act? There is no reference that selling the house allows me to terminate tenancy in the contract.

The contract you signed with your tenants can't just be broken willy-nilly. Unless you've got provisions in it for terminating tenancy, I think your options are to sell the property with the tenants in-sitio, offer to buy the contract out from the tenants or wait until the contract has expired.

Have a look [broken link removed] at the 'Terminating a Tenancy' document on the PRTB's website.

You should contact the PRTB asap and explain the situation to them - may also save yourself some legal fees. Did you register with the PRTB? If so, this is exactly the type of case they are there to provide guidance on.

Back