Teachers AVC

J

Jim

I know this scheme was rubbish historically.

Is it still bad value? Can any one clarify the basics for me regarding charges, investment options?

Thanks

Jim

Teachers AVCs

I wouldn't say any AVC is 'rubbish'...its very to have some type of AVC than none.

But as a teacher if you're short service you would be much better off opting to buy back service ..ask the Department about the scheme. It provides a guaranteed benefit for a given level of contribution so that the Exchequer :
* guarantees you a real investment return on your money
* takes on the annuity rate risk, i.e. the risk that you might live to be 120!
* pays all the expenses of operating the scheme.

Its an extremely good deal ..I would highly recommend you ask the Department of Education about it.

Clarification

thanks for that - Im actually looking for info on the DC arrangements provided through Cornmarket - any opinions on that?

Teachers AVCs

None ...other than you should seriously consider the buy back option before you jump into any AVC. Why take the risk when you can get the rest of us taxpayers to take it for you?

Check out the Cornmarket charges very carefully - they used to be relatively high even though they and the ASTI used to justify/defend them and I'm not sure that they've ever come down. They even issued a PR a while back taking Brendan/AAM to task over criticisms raised about the charges levied. Bloody cheek, eh?

Re: complaint

I think it was the INTO, not ASTI

Marion :hat

Back