Taxpayer to foot bill for crash course on Facebook

There really is no end to the total disregard for taxpayers' funds!!! Every single day I hear or see something that makes me want to send nice invitation cards to the IMF.

I know an 18 year old who will teach them all they need to know about Facebook for the price of a few pints and a Chinese takeaway.

This is ridiculous. Facebook provide ample instructions, help & FAQs on their site.

If the councillors have special needs in this area they should foot the bill themselves, or better still ask any 13 year old for advice, or of course search YouTube & watch a couple of videos.

Course they could do it for free if they just learned how to use google - oh wait, then there would be a course for learning how to use google.

If they are so stupid that they do not know how to use Facebook, they should not be councillors.

Hundreds of millions of people across the globe seem to be able to use Facebook without going on a course.

It's just another example of 'legal theft' in my opinion.

Next week's course:
- Using twitter.

Incredible. It is actions like this that makes it so hard for people to accept all the cuts that are necessary. Grrrrr!

I wonder if the local press will name & shame each 'Councillor' that goes on the Jolly, and claims expenses for it...disgusting!

I know a 15 year old who'd do it for the price of a phone credit top up.

Will the 15 year old pay for 2 nights in a three star hotel for the councilors but we as tax payers will have to foot the bill. i think we should take a leaf from the people of France.

I know a 15 year old who'd do it for the price of a phone credit top up.
Can you show me an example of a FB page set up, maintained and populated by this 15 year old, preferably one that is integrated with a blog, a Youtube feed, a kildarestreet.com rss feed and a Twitter account?

The idea that 'everyone knows how to use Facebook' is nonsense, in this content. Training is (presumably) about how to set up pages, how to prepare interesting content, how to integrate with other online tools etc. Very few organisations (public or private) are doing this well at present. There are lots and lots of people providing FB training to private and public sector clients; see

Having said all that, there is a real question over whether councillors should have a budget for conferences and training.

Can you show me an example of a FB page set up, maintained and populated by this 15 year old, preferably one that is integrated with a blog, a Youtube feed, a kildarestreet.com rss feed and a Twitter account?

There are plenty of 15 year olds with the know how to do the above. Integrating a blog, a youtube feed, an rss feed and a twitter account is commonplace and easy to follow instructions are available via google. God knows if the course content will even cover any of this (unlikely I would think given its such a short course) - more likely theyll learn how to manage their privacy settings so we the general public dont get to see the chats they have with others!!

Now - more interestingly - how many of these councillers do you think will bother doing all or any of the above?

Perhaps the knowledge of how to maintain a meaningful web presence with interesting content, integration with online tools etc may need some basic training - but a course purely for how to use facebook is a waste of taxpayers money. There are far more appropriate social networking sites than facebook that councillers should consider using - linkedin for example.

Its irrelevant whether or not there are people offering this service, people will offer a service in anything! It doesnt mean that its a meaningful service!

There are plenty of 15 year olds with the know how to do the above. Integrating a blog, a youtube feed, an rss feed and a twitter account is commonplace and easy to follow instructions are available via google.
You have some examples in mind of FB pages created and maintained by 15 year olds that cover all this?

Perhaps you should consider going on some training course. Any councillor would be crazy to choose LinkedIn in preference to FB. FB reaches a far wider audience, and is far more focused on direct contact with citizens. LinkedIn is great for professional stuff all right, but is very little use to a politician.

You have some examples in mind of FB pages created and maintained by 15 year olds that cover all this?

Oh please - 15 year olds can run rings around any adult when it comes to social networking sites.

Facebook is far more widely used as a social non professional chat/contact tool - I seriously doubt any politician wants to attract abusive posts, or have things he/she says remembered forever on the internet.

And out of interest - what do I need a training course for? To have an opinion?

Forgotten the old 'attack the post not the poster' rule have we?

Are you seriously trying to defend this blatant legal theft?

How many councillors do you think will be setting up even a simple Facebook page after this 'course'?

'legal theft'

The use of this oxymoron seems to kill all argument for me.

If it's legal the rules need to be changed so it isn't. If it is legal and allowable then it can't be argued that there's any wrong doing happening.

Re. Facebook .... if politicians want to self-promote they should self-finance that promotion.

Tax Payer gets caught again to foot the bill.