Tax treatment of Irish Domiciled non residents for ETFs

irishabroad2

Hi

I'm Irish Domiciled but non resident, non ordinary resident. I'm resident in Hong Kong. I own some vanguard s&p500 and ftse all world UCITS ETF funds through degiro, both of which are incorporated in Ireland.

From revenue's website I see:
"
You may be non-resident, non-ordinarily resident but domiciled in Ireland for a tax year. In this case you will pay Irish tax on:

• your Irish income and income from a trade, profession or employment carried out in Ireland
  • any gains you make in Ireland."
Does this mean I'm taxable on my Irish incorporated vanguard funds? Should I sell and find an alternative in Hong Kong where tax treatment is very advantageous?

Thank you.

Do you know what would count as 'any gains you make in Ireland'?

This is in contrast to the revenue.ie description for non resident, non ordinary resident, non domiciled which is stated as "any gains on irish specified assets only (land, buildings, minerals and assets of a trade carried on in Ireland)"

Strange that the revenue though specifies it differently for the two statuses (Irish domiciled vs non domiciled). I can't post the link but here it is copy and pasted

"
Non-resident, non-ordinarily resident but domiciled in Ireland
You may be non-resident, non-ordinarily resident but domiciled in Ireland for a tax year. In this case you will pay Irish tax on:

• your Irish income and income from a trade, profession or employment carried out in Ireland
  • any gains you make in Ireland.
Non-resident, non-ordinarily resident and not domiciled in Ireland
You may be non-resident, non-ordinarily resident and not domiciled in Ireland for a tax year. In this case you will pay Irish tax on:

• your Irish income and your income from a trade, profession or employment performed in Ireland
  • any gains on Irish specified assets only (land, buildings, minerals and assets of a trade carried on in Ireland)."
The descriptions are quite different

Back