Tax on Wages. Any advice please

Anto318

Hi all,

Sorry for the vague title I didn't know how to explain it any better..

My girlfriend is earning 30k a year and is being paid every two weeks. I know this may be a silly question but how much should she be getting every two weeks and how much should she be taxed for that period?

The reason I ask is that the accountant for the gym seems to be away with the fairies. My girlfriend has been working there as Manager for the last 6 months and has never been paid properly since she started. She was and still is getting taxed I think about €111 every two weeks, with this being so high she rang the tax office to find out that she was still on emergency tax (which the accountant said was sorted).

She has raised this issue to the owner of the gym and he will not tackle this issue with the accountant. My girlfriend didn’t do anything earlier as being a new gym there will always be kinks to be sorted out but this is being going on too long.

The accountant never has the wages lodged into employees’ accounts on time and employees end up being paid my cheque more often than not.

If anybody could advice on how to get this sorted I would greatly appreciate as my girlfriend’s tax credit is being eaten up at the moment and is there any way of reclaiming the money she has lost through being emergency taxed for the last 6 months?

Any info/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
AM

Have you tried [broken link removed] to work out her approximate net pay? According to this weekly take home pay should be c. €500 with c. €47 tax andc. €29 PRSI. I presume that you can double the figures for the two weekly payment schedule?

Is she getting payslips and if so can you post details? If not then she should be concerned as she is legally entitled to these and usually only dodgy employers don't issue them. Did she get a statement of tax credits for 2007? If so post details of this too.

If she has been paying too much tax then things will evetually balance out once she finds out what's wrong and updates Reveue with the necessary details.

Thanks guys for the info. She is getting payslips and has been in contact with the tax office I think she is going talking to the accountant again today to see if she has sorted out her tax yet and then will see where she can go from there.

Thanks for the help all

111euro every 2 weeks doesn't sound like it's too much.
Yes - using the calculator gives a two weekly figure of about €100 for tax or c. €150 including both tax and PRSI so maybe there are other issues specific to her circumstances that make the real figure €110. Either way even if it is wrong it's not outrageously so. If you could post details from her payslips and statement of tax credits it should be simple to figure things out exactly.

I'll try and get that info off her and post them up.

Thanks again all much appreciated

Getting paid late or by cheque instead of electronic transfer is a process problem about which she has legitimate grounds for complaint and which the employer should deal with. However she should not be having a go at the employer/accountant just because she thinks that her wages are incorrectly calculated without hard evidence that this is actually so. Even then she should just discuss it with them reasonably with a view to getting it sorted rather than letting off steam about it. Accountants doing payroll can and do make mistakes but these can generally be easily rectified so unless these are habitual or suspected to be nefarious then there is no point in getting irate about it.

Yeah I know they are having serious problems with the accountant but again this is something the owner of the gym will have to deal with. She has dealings with the accountant previously in relation to late wages of staff but my girlfriend hasn't gone accusing the accountant of not giving her her full wages. That why she wants to get all her information correct and just get the thing sorted she has enough on her plate without problems with money and wages also.

Thanks again all

Back