Taken ownership of two adult cats - need help

Well, if they don't return within a couple of days you'll probably find them lurking about the "old" house they used to live in...

We were told a week would be enough. The little female is right as rain and likes our company now, but the tom has vanished into the aether.

Our cat has gone 'missing' for up to 5 days. If your guy is neutered he probably hasn't gone too far - just exploring a bit. :)

In addition to all the other suggestions, wipe some orange or lemon oil on the kitchen countertops (provided they have a surface that won't be damaged by the oil and invest in some lemon geranium. Citrus is fantastic for deterring them and a cat which has a spot of citrus on its nose or paws is a sight to behold - I never thought cats could scowl until I saw this.

Don't use one of the kitchen sprays that smell like citrus. It is unlikely to contain enough of the real thing to deter them and might actually attract them if they think it smells more like their pee.

I had a cat once that enjoyed peeing into holes. I was out all day and I knew that it was getting up and using the kitchen sink. Unfortunately I put up with that behaviour and it led to a much worse situation when I bought a new cooker which had a couple of oven vents at the back of the hob... very distressing results when the oven was switched on.

I soaked kitchen paper in lemon oil and placed it over the vents before wiping the hob down with it too - stopped that carry on at once so I moved to use it around the kitchen to good effect. V.lemony kitchen tho!

Tom might be exploring the new territory, I'd wait a couple of days, but no harm in having a look around the old home - you could knock into the neighbours there and leave your number in case they spot him, they probably know him well!

He probably learned to jump very very quietly :). I am not sure it is possible to totally trust a cat :)

Well, he's 6 years old now and has never done it since. So I guess you can ;)

Sylvester3, did the cat ever return? My boy used to wander when he was younger too, but when he got the snip, he never wandered again. Must be a lessen in that for us all, lol :p

Hi all, yep he's back. He actually came to us for a cuddle on the sofa tonight, which was strange and new, seeing as its usually the little female that does that. She won't talk to us now, though! :)

We have tried pepper and lemon on the counter tops but that didn't seem to work (we found they knocked the pepper and rinds off the surfaces before curling up for a nice cat nap) so we have taken to spraying them with water when we catch them. Its pretty funny watching them scarper when they see the spray gun appear!

Good to hear.

One of our neighbours has a cat that I occasionally feed and let in/out if they are away, for years she wouldn't go near me (would run away, hide or dart out the door when I opened it etc) or anyone other than the owners, then a couple of months ago she came up to me and rubbed against my legs and ever since she lets me rub her etc. The neighbour couldn't believe it - she still won't go near my other family members.

Dogs have owners. Cats have servants.
I agree with this.

If you want to stop your cat getting on to the counter, get some card board cut it into 6" squares put double sided sticky tape on to it and put it onto the counter top.
They really hate that awful feeling on their paws.

A dog comes when you call it.
A cat takes a message and gets back to you.
I think cats only tolerate us until the day a paw operated can opener is invented.

I think cats only tolerate us until the day a paw operated can opener is invented.

Or as happened in my house recently someone accidentally leaves a bag of dry cat food out of the press only to come home and discover a slash down the side of the bag and a furry @rse sticking out of the bag :p

Back