T.V. Licence Fee

If I work for An Garda Siochana, does that make me a cop ?
If I work for Aer Lingus, does that make me a pilot ?

probably if you are in copper face jacks

apparently it costs 450 a day to get grainne seoige's gruaig done, that's nearly 3 tv licences.

Somebody said that Ryan and Kenny Etc arent employed by RTE ! ! !

Im confused, if they arent employed by rte who employs them.

And if they pay for their wages through advertisement then why do we need to pay tv licence fee.

I dont know the full ins and outs of how the licence fee (or RTE) allocates its money, but from some of the things that have been suggested, its not always in a cost efficient manner.

And justifying high wages by saying that they make it back in adds, still doesnt justify the wages. If I worked for a privately owned company and just about covered the costs of my wages through my work, I would be quickly let go. Its not enough "to cover your wages".

This may answer some of NothDrums questions on RTE's finances. As well as how License fee is allocated and also the percentage of License Fee to Other Income (approx 47%). As was pionted out RTE do a lot more than provide two TV stations.

http://www.rte.ie/about/pdfs/annual_report07_english.pdf

My biased opinon of course.

Thanks for trying to clarify that. A bit too much a long winded doc for mew to go through ! ! !

One figure that popped out was Pat Kennys radio figures. If anything I think hes a better radio presenter then a tv presenter (not just a face for radio!), yet his radio figures would be considered poor in relation to his status at RTE!

Ryan, Kenny & Duffy are effectively contractors.
Really? If they were IT contractors, revenue may have a case to call them employees.

Recently I've being going to the gym and they have TVs built into some of the machines. I noticed a programme called 'bertie' was listed. Surely this isn't about bertie ahern?
I also noticed the screens have video input so I'm going to get myself one of them there portable DVD players.

Thanks for trying to clarify that. A bit too much a long winded doc for mew to go through ! ! !

One figure that popped out was Pat Kennys radio figures. If anything I think hes a better radio presenter then a tv presenter (not just a face for radio!), yet his radio figures would be considered poor in relation to his status at RTE!

Not Trying to defend Pat Kenny in the slightest but he does run this radio programme as well as doing the Late Late (Both of which don't appeal to me). While 10% share does appear low the figures would best be compared to other stations programmes on at the same time.

I would also find in intersting to know the salaries of similar presenters in the private broadcasting business....George Hook, Ray D'arcy, Matt Cooper, Ian Dempsey I'm sure their not scrapping through this recession :)

By the way rumour has it Pat is still being tapped up by other broadcasters but this could be just rumour to keep his contract negotiations on track.

a question: if you dont pay the tv licence and they are aware that there is a tv in the house and sky box etc visible, can they go ahead and summons you anyway?

its on thier system if a particular house has a licence or not??

in the case of social or affordable housing, where the houses are not allowed to be rented out, surely they can prosecute the owners/ tenants of these houses, they cannot argue if they dont live there, or the tv isnt theirs as they are not allowed to do that anyway?

any thoughts on that?

ps i wouldnt want it imposed but im guessing technically it could be done? or do they have to actually speak to you...ie hide under the stairs if you see a man wit a clip board at the door :D

Somebody said that Ryan and Kenny Etc arent employed by RTE ! ! !

Im confused, if they arent employed by rte who employs them.

And if they pay for their wages through advertisement then why do we need to pay tv licence fee.

I dont know the full ins and outs of how the licence fee (or RTE) allocates its money, but from some of the things that have been suggested, its not always in a cost efficient manner.

And justifying high wages by saying that they make it back in adds, still doesnt justify the wages. If I worked for a privately owned company and just about covered the costs of my wages through my work, I would be quickly let go. Its not enough "to cover your wages".

well said

probably if you are in copper face jacks

apparently it costs 450 a day to get grainne seoige's gruaig done, that's nearly 3 tv licences.
I spent less than half of that getting a fourteen year old car through the NCT ........... and don't have to go back for over two years. Surely something wrong here:)

a question: if you dont pay the tv licence and they are aware that there is a tv in the house and sky box etc visible, can they go ahead and summons you anyway?

its on thier system if a particular house has a licence or not??

in the case of social or affordable housing, where the houses are not allowed to be rented out, surely they can prosecute the owners/ tenants of these houses, they cannot argue if they dont live there, or the tv isnt theirs as they are not allowed to do that anyway?

any thoughts on that?

ps i wouldnt want it imposed but im guessing technically it could be done? or do they have to actually speak to you...ie hide under the stairs if you see a man wit a clip board at the door :D

If they do not have a name on the list, ie if you have never bought a TV Licence before, therefore all correspondence will come in the name of the occupier. They cannot send a summons in the name of the occupier.
My sister saw a suspicious person rooting at next doors bin and called the guards. It turned out to be the TV Licence man trying to get peoples names from the bins at the front of the house.

Then, they have to actually call to the door and catch who ever opens the door. I knew somebody who refused to give their name when the TV Licence man caught him coming out the door and nothing ever happened. He said he was only minding the house (which he was) and the TV Licence man asked for the name of the owners. Person just said, I dont think they would be very happy with me giving out their names, so you will have to call back yourself. I dont know if the Inspector called back when the owners came back, but nothing happened as a result of the first call anyway.

If they do not have a name on the list, ie if you have never bought a TV Licence before, therefore all correspondence will come in the name of the occupier. They cannot send a summons in the name of the occupier.
My sister saw a suspicious person rooting at next doors bin and called the guards. It turned out to be the TV Licence man trying to get peoples names from the bins at the front of the house.

Then, they have to actually call to the door and catch who ever opens the door. I knew somebody who refused to give their name when the TV Licence man caught him coming out the door and nothing ever happened. He said he was only minding the house (which he was) and the TV Licence man asked for the name of the owners. Person just said, I dont think they would be very happy with me giving out their names, so you will have to call back yourself. I dont know if the Inspector called back when the owners came back, but nothing happened as a result of the first call anyway.

:D you would think they would have access to whom lived in what address, and just summons them!

basically u need never pay for one if you dodge them???

No legally, you can't just just send a summons to someone once you have a name. The summons can only issue if you are caught by the TV Licence Inspector. The summons relates to being at an address with an apparatus (or whatever way it is worded) They have to ask if you have a TV, and then who you are. Some people genuinely do not have TV's. There was talk of them getting the databases from Sky, etc, but I think there would be data protection issues from that.

Once they have your name from one year to the next, normally they send a threatening letter when your TV Licence is expired, most people pay. But they cant send a summons unless you are caught by the Inspector.

I suppose you could dodge if you wanted to, but it would be a pain keep looking out to see who is at the door. One guy I know has never had a licence since he moved into his house in 1996. He never bought a licence and keeps getting letters to the Occupier, but nothing further than that.

And that is the reason for my Post. 99.9% of all residences have a TV. Therefore the authorities should force the property owner to pay the licence fee and if no licence fee due then prove it. Otherwise cough up.

The most unfair thing about TV licences is that there is only one type. While a pub or a hotel will pay a much higher rate for SKY packages than a private house will, the tv licence fee is the same for an entire 300 room hotel as it is for a bedsit.

the authorities
And whom are these authorities?

To reiterate what a number of posters have said.

The inspector has no legal right to enter your home. The inspector is there to act as a witness to your TV ownership, nothing more. So if he can't witness anything then hes out of lock, a closed door in the face usually does the trick. Even if they get your name and address they still have to witness you in possesion of a TV. The inspector has no right to look through your post, this is a criminal offence.

Finally if they ever do catch you and you have your day in court try to memorise correctly who the inspector was on the day you got caught, (not the day you were summoned!). An Post will usually schedule a number of TV license sittings together in the court and usually send out whoever is available. 9 times out of 10 it usually not the person that witnessed your ownership, make the judge aware that the inspector in the court is not the inspector who allegedly witnessed your TV ownership and voila case thrown out. No witness, no crime.

And that is the reason for my Post. 99.9% of all residences have a TV.
I would say that this figure is reducing. I don't have a TV, and some of my friends have also got rid of the telly, or are thinking about it.
TV's heyday has gone, and I believe it's becoming old hat. Now people are using the Internet more, instead (like me, right now!) People will start waking up to the fact that TV is mostly dire, and not worth the licence fee.
(Especially with programs called 'bertie', which I suspect was about bertie ahern. - I'd pay not to watch that.)

Back