T.V. Licence Fee

NorthDrum

Anybody got an opinion on the current licence fee we pay.

Am I right in saying all licence monies goto the RTE?

Why are they allowed to air add's when the likes of the BBC are not? Is this not anti competitive against TV3.

Who regulates them?

It just seems that its another example of a semi state body (so to speak) riding the pigs back and paying over the odds for sub standard staff.

Dont get me wrong, Im not up to speed on the "going rate" for radio or tv hosts, but from some of the figures being mentioned it seems that some of the comfortable bigwigs (kenny, ryan, Duffy) in radio and TV are getting very generous pay packages for very few hours work. We are quick to complain about our taoiseachs wage, but some of these clowns are getting more then double that for a fraction of the work.

I resent having to pay €170 for a station I barely ever watch, which overpays its staff and doesnt really appear accountable to anybody.

I have to admit, while I grunt about having to pay a tv licence I don't tend to think about it being for just RTE...a station I rarely watch either. It's a nessessary evil and I'm definatly in the "pay up, shut up" brigade.

Now, when it comes to Sky, that's a different ball game. I worked out last night how much we pay a year for that and I can tell you now, that DD will be at least halved next month, once i work out what channels we can live without.

I don't agree with the principle of the tv licence but never felt passionatly enough to do anything about it. I paid the BBC for years in the UK but watched a lot more of that channel than I do RTE, maybe I'm just conditioned now :eek:

We certainly pay too much in fees, but only because the entire fee is sucked up by RTE and not distributed to other broadcasters. The license fee should only be used to fund the public service remit, across all stations, and the rest should be paid for by advertising.
The problem in RTE is that the place is grossly overmanned by people who operate all kinds of restrictive practices. It's a bloated civil service operation that sits on the most expensive bit of parkland in Ireland, instead of being out in an industrial estate like TV3.
We badly need the current government to look at all high cost public services to ensure that we get value for scarce taxes, and the license fee is a tax after all.

Well if you don't want to pay your license fee then get rid of your television, simple really. There are many more outlets on the internet these days to watch live and recorded tv content. The Wireless Telegraphy Act doesn't cover computers:

Wireless Telegraphy Act, 1972

"television set" means any apparatus for wireless telegraphy designed primarily for the purpose of receiving and exhibiting television programmes broadcast for general reception (whether or not its use for that purpose is dependent on the use of anything else in conjunction therewith) and any assembly comprising such apparatus and other apparatus.
As you can see it covers wireless, most internet is wired these days. Also an apparatus "primarly" designed for tv watching, a computer is not primarily designed for this. There are no actual definitions in the 1972 act as to what wireless telegraphy actually is because that act took its main lead from the Wireless Telegraphy Act of 1926. The 1926 act states:
the expression "wireless telegraphy" means and includes any system of communicating messages, spoken words, music, images, pictures, prints, or other communications, sounds, signs, or signals by means of radiated electro-magnetic waves originating in an apparatus or device constructed for the purpose of originating such communications, sounds, signs, or signals
A very vague description which in this day and age could cover anything from a mobile phone to a GPS unit to the RFID chip on your passport, none of which are licensed at the end-user level. You could also argue that the properties of "ethernet" do not resemble those of of "radiated electro-magnetic waves". However any prosecution trying to argue that "ethernet" does exhibit "radiated electro-magnetic wave" properties would be putting itself on a slippery slope, in effect admitting that all ethernet receiving devices need to be licensed, which I don't think is going to happen. ;)

If after all of that you could still install an internal or external TV tuner into the machine to get standard aerial/cable tv.

http://www.hauppauge.co.uk/site/products/data_hvr900.html

I'd go for the USB one if you were worried about getting caught. If the inspector comes and for some bizarre reason you actually allow him into your house (he has no legal right to) then you can just bung it in your back pocket.

Majik,

As far as I know but if you use a computer to watch any sort of media you are supposed to pay a tv licence (I will stand corrected if wrong).

Im not complaining about having to pay it more what its being used for.

I resent how its ****ed away at RTE HQ for sub to below standard programmes and even worse presenters!!

I don't agree with the principle of the tv licence but never felt passionatly enough to do anything about it.
I did.
I got rid of my television 6 or 7 years ago. I don't miss it.

Am I right in saying all licence monies goto the RTE?

I believe that some monies do go to TV3 (and pehaps others), for their public broadcasting contributions, news etc. Although i think this is a very small percentage of the overall fund.

As far as I know but if you use a computer to watch any sort of media you are supposed to pay a tv licence (I will stand corrected if wrong).

Provided that the computer isn't connected to a TV tuner (even once) or receiving a relayed IPTV stream from a slingbox then a licence isn't required.

The Sunday Business Post got [broken link removed] from the Department of Communications

It just seems that its another example of a semi state body (so to speak) riding the pigs back and paying over the odds for sub standard staff.

Dont get me wrong, Im not up to speed on the "going rate" for radio or tv hosts, but from some of the figures being mentioned it seems that some of the comfortable bigwigs (kenny, ryan, Duffy) in radio and TV are getting very generous pay packages for very few hours work. We are quick to complain about our taoiseachs wage, but some of these clowns are getting more then double that for a fraction of the work.

I resent having to pay €170 for a station I barely ever watch, which overpays its staff and doesnt really appear accountable to anybody.

Kenny, Ryan, Duffy and most of the other big names are NOT RTE employees.

One of the reasons the fee is so high is due to the fact that those that do pay are covering those that do not. The best way to collect the Licence fee should be from the property owners and not from those living in the property.

And most commercial properties have a T.V. as well. So if everybody played their part the fee would most likely be reduced somewhat.

The best way to collect the Licence fee should be from the property owners and not from those living in the property.
So how does this work if the landlord does not want a TV on their premises, but the tenants do?

It should be made the responsibility of the landlord who in turn should recoup it from the tenants. Something similar to other countries.

It should be made the responsibility of the landlord who in turn should recoup it from the tenants. Something similar to other countries.

I agree. I live in a house with 2 others - If I get a licence in my name - I can keep the licence - If I move house.

The licence should be scraped. RTE is dire. Failte Towers, Katherine Lynch, Langerland TV, Podge & Rodge, Tubberdy, Late Late Show, etc.

I have to admit, while I grunt about having to pay a tv licence I don't tend to think about it being for just RTE...a station I rarely watch either. It's a nessessary evil and I'm definatly in the "pay up, shut up" brigade.

Now, when it comes to Sky, that's a different ball game. I worked out last night how much we pay a year for that and I can tell you now, that DD will be at least halved next month, once i work out what channels we can live without.

I don't agree with the principle of the tv licence but never felt passionatly enough to do anything about it. I paid the BBC for years in the UK but watched a lot more of that channel than I do RTE, maybe I'm just conditioned now :eek:

At least with the BBC you don't have to sit through ads. Nothing more annoying when watching a film as ad breaks. Why do we pay a Tv licence fee and also have ads, that what annoys me

As the Post article points out

This being Ireland, the real measure of what counts is in the enforcement. This means that even the fanciest TV-connected computer needs to attract the attention of a working TV inspector. And you’re probably safe watching TV in your car, tent or motor home.
Enforcement is lackadaisal at best and I've never payed a license even after a few notes from the inspector under the door. The funny thing is that we caught him using the postmans key to enter the apartment complex, which is illegal, so that he could knock on each apartments actual front door as opposed to trying to buzz in outside. Recently inspectors went out of their way to find houses/flats/apartments with new immigrants, people unaware of their rights on the matter. If they are going to play sneaky then we have every right to fight back! Its the one law I condone you break.

I do not work for RTE or like paying a tax by another name as the licence fee is (initially established as a radio licence when RTE started from nothing). BUT

The portion of the licence fee that RTE gets (yes the majority) goes to funding RTE 1, RTE 2, RTE Radion 1, 2FM (although I think this is self financing of late), Radio na Gaeltachta, TG4, Concert Orchestra, Concert Choir, Symphony Orchestra & Cor na nOg. Possibly other stuff as well.

Another portion of the licence fee goes to private broadcasters and there is a development fund from which private production companies like Mint (behind most of the political "documentaries") get grants for programmes.

A lot of the big name "celebrities" in RTE bring in enough in advertising to cover their salaries, I think Gerry Ryan is the top at this.

Only learned most of what I've just posted while doing an Irish Media module in college last year.

The funny thing is that we caught him using the postmans key to enter the apartment complex, which is illegal,

TV license inspectors are from An Post - technically they are postmen.

Back