Switch to UB fixed ?

That just sounds like a “guilty as charged” plea to accusations of inertia. I don’t really care what UB’s SVR is; if I don’t want to be on it, I can just choose one of their attractive fixed rates or switch.

Finally got my break fee letter, its around 1100 so I'll leave it for now and try again in a month as it's not worth the cost for 3 extra months fixed. Bit annoyed about the letter though, it's dated mid May and says the break fee was valid until June 5th but I only received it today. If the breakage had been low or 0 I wouldn't have been able to proceed to re-fix without requesting a new breakage letter, at which point it could have increased. Their whole process around this seems designed to make this more difficult and financially risky than it should be.

Out of interest, how long did it take to get the letter after your phone call?

I'm still waiting. (7 days today)

Rather than start a new thread, can i just jump on here and ask the Great Minds....
we've just bought a new house with LTV of 77%. Things are extremely tight. But do i favour the 7 year fixed rate at 2.9 percent with repayments of €1,440.55 or go with the 2.3% two year of €1,326 and not feel so squeezed in the short term?? Its a 27 year mortgage. I'm not a fan of UB having been caught up in the tracker debacle!! But needs must!

Just got my UB letter (took 3 weeks). Break fee of €1150, valid until 3rd June :rolleyes:. I'll just forget about it for a year or two.

Last edited:
Just got my UB letter (took 3 weeks). Break fee of €1150, valid until 3rd June :rolleyes:. I'll just forget about it for a year or two.
Has anybody been refused a break of the stated fee due to them saying it's no longer valid?

If so, then surely this practice of issuing a letter and stating the offer is valid until a date which already has passed is something that needs flagging to either the bank or regulator...regardless of whether the fee is good value or not...

btw - do they just quote a € value or offer the numbers used for calculation? again should the requester be privvy to the actual calculation (not simply just the formula as shown on their website)

I did think of pursuing the issue as it seems ludicrous at best but it's academic only as in my case I won't be paying the break fee to refix.

They provided figure only and not a calculation.

Back