swapping cars for insurance

S

s

Myself and my boyfriend each have cars. He has a claim against his insurance & I don't. We both have full comp and are name drivers on each others policies.
His insurance premium is enormous because of the claim and also because he has a convertable.

This is my question: He wants us to swap cars for insurance purposes. I insure myself on his car and vice versa even though we stay as owners on our own cars. Making sense?

Is this possible or more important is this legal. I'm not so keen but if it would help him out???

txs in advance

Am I right in assuming that the engine size of your car is smaller than his, and this is why you are changing around??

I can't see you making any savings from this. 3 reasons.

1. Your premium will rise due to engine size increase.
2. You will no longer be the registered owner of the insured car - another premium rise.
3. If you change the names on the logbook to overcome Point 2 then you now have an extra owner on each car and this will reduce the value of both cars...

My advise would be to sell the higher engine car and buy a smaller engined car for your boyfriend.

That would be my viewpoint anyway.

Jildy.

Your insurance proposal form will ask you 'Who is the main driver of this car?'. If you lie (i.e. state that you are the main driver of the convertible when in fact he is the main driver of the convertible) in response to this or any other question, your insurance contract is not valid and you are driving without insurance.

This type of insurance fraud is relatively easy and very common. In my day, most of the boy racers were insuring their cars by having the mother down as the owner and them as named drivers. God knows why the insurance companies never questioned the number of grannies supposedly driving high powered cars. I never knew of anyone getting caught out, but the fact remains, you are not insured in the case of an accident if it transpires you are the main driver of a car insured in someone elses name. And believe me, when faced with a claim, the insurance companies will explore every avenue to avoid a payout, and a scenario like this would suit them lovely! You'll get away with it from the point of view of gardai checking your insurance etc. but not in a crash situation.

Would I be naive in hoping that 'Will I be caught?' is not the only criteria in deciding whether to try this out? Do people think about whether this is the honest or right thing to do?

Do people think about whether this is the honest or right thing to do?
In my case, no. Just wouldn't want a big claim against me.

THanks for your honesty.

I understand that it is fairly common for the Micra insured by Auntie Mary in Donegal to be actually driven by young Mickey working up in Dublin during the week.

I understand that it is fairly common for the Micra insured by Auntie Mary in Donegal to be actually driven by young Mickey working up in Dublin during the week.
That's true. But what worries me is the number of boy racers who, to this day, buy high powered cars that they wouldn't ordinarily be able to afford to insure (or simply wouldn't get insurance) were it not for having it in someone else's name. There is good reason why they cannot afford to insure these cars themselves; they are too dangerous in the hands of a boy racer. But using this "loophole" they are on the roads in their masses with powerful cars.

Back