Svp -urgent help with rent

How did you get on? Hopefully you got a hostel place. Please let us know how you get on with your landlord.

I find it hard to believe that Threshold didn't get involved here. If not this case then what are there there for?
The Landlord has behaved disgracefully and illegally. The Garda are worse than useless if they can't help someone gain access to their home when they have been evicted illegally and have nowhere to live.

Please let us know how this is progressing Crisisnow.

The Landlord has behaved disgracefully and illegally. The Garda are worse than useless if they can't help someone gain access to their home when they have been evicted illegally and have nowhere to live.

The annoyance is understandable and shared by most people I'm sure.

The Gardai have no role in Civil matters nor should they have, indeed no Police force in any progressive society like we live in have a role in matters as outlined, they would however provide safe shelter in any Garda station overnight should refuge be sought.

The annoyance is understandable and shared by most people I'm sure.

The Gardai have no role in Civil matters nor should they have, indeed no Police force in any progressive society like we live in have a role in matters as outlined, they would however provide safe shelter in any Garda station overnight should refuge be sought.
So entering someone's home, throwing their possessions out of their home, changing the locks and refusing them entry is a civil matter? Wow.

Thanks for your response and I do hope your right but unfortunately I don’t have anything in writing, I don’t have a contract or anything, just pay him cash every month
You do have a contract, it's just not on paper. And your landlord would be very unwise indeed to try and evict you. You'd have a mega case with the RTB if he tried to do that. Contact Threshold for advice and help.

Edit, I see you were illegally evicted. You need the help of Threshold to take a case with the RTB. For other advice on your options try the country council accommodation unit. I read an article about a place in Cork that gives out free food, they will no doubt have ideas on accommodation as they deal with homeless people. Best of luck, terrible situation to be in.

Last edited:
I hope Crisisnow got sorted.
He does highlight a problem with St. Vincent Dé Paul.
I rang them myself a number of years ago when I was extremely short of money and got much the same response, which is to say they weren't much help.
I still throw a little money in their collection baskets but I don't 100% trust them.

Last edited:
I hope Crisisnow got sorted.
He does highlight a problem with St. Vincent Dé Paul.
I rang them myself a number of years ago when I was extremely short of money and got much the same response, which is to say they weren't much help.
I still throw a little money in their collection backets but I don't 100% trust them.
When I heard that the VDP never say no to any request for help I stopped supporting them.

I read an article about a place in Cork that gives out free food, they will no doubt have ideas on accommodation as they deal with homeless people. Best of luck, terrible situation to be in.

Cork Penny Dinners, I think they located in Hanover Street, they carry out trogen work there too. Hopefully the OP got on ok and is all sorted now.

Back