Supplementary Welfare allowance means test

regvw

Hi All,
I am not sure if this is the correct forum but I have a question, my wife has been advised to apply for Supplementary Welfare allowance and rather than get sucked into a long process of tooing and frooing I am wondering does anyone know the mans test criteria so i can determine if we qualify .

I myself am working and we have some savings in the bank, my wife has not been working since November last year

thanks
Reg

Did she go on Jobseekers Benefit in November last year? Is she had enough "stamps" that's what she should have gone on.

thanks Guys, she did not have enough stamps for job seekers, I read the information on the link, though it shows me a calculation it does not tell me over how much income we would need to have to not qualify.

anyone know where I could find that out, that would help me greatly

I searched for the current means test guidelines for SWA, but since the Department moved to the gov.ie portal, a lot of the detailed information seems to have been lost. I'm going from memory here, so apologies if any of these guidelines have changed.

As a guide, if your assessable income is greater than the maximum SWA rate for your family size, your wife won't qualify. The 2020 rates are €201 for a single adult, €134.70 for a qualified adult (aka adult dependant) and €36 for each child under 12 / €40 for each child over 12.
For example, if there are only 2 of you, and your assessable income exceeds €335.70 pw, there is no entitlement.

Assessable income will include your wages (gross less PRSI, Superannuation and Union Dues but not tax), savings (the first €5000 of savings is disregarded) and any property you might have other than your own home.

For Jobseeker's Allowance, your income is assessed as per the information on this page:
I can't recall if the same calculation is used for SWA.

Savings are assessed as per the information in the link that Feemar5 posted above.

You could contact Citizens Information by phone (there's a link to request a callback on the page above), they should be able to give you more details and you can decide whether to proceed with the application.

thank you gipimann , with a rough calculation, we have three kids and my take home pay would be around 700 per week plus we have some small savings. it looks like we would not qualify for anything

thanks
Reg

Back