Sun holiday at Xmas

B

Baz

I'm looking to get away for a week or two at Xmas. Somewhere hot by the sea but also with plenty of culture/sights cos me and the missus will be bored out of our brains if we spend too long lieing by the pool/beach.

Anyone got any suggestions? Have already been to Tenerife & Lanzerote.

Caribbean perhaps?

Thanks

Sea World.

Why not head to Florida. I had a great time in Orlando a few years ago in January. You could take a second week at a coastal resort, hire a car and travel around the coast. Orlando is not just for the kids.

Try Jamaica - it has all you could need and more. Plenty of sun, sea, sand, culture, stunning scenery, beaches that go on for ever, exotic scenery, rivers, mountains, waterfalls, snorkelling, diving, eating, drinking, music, fun - spent two weeks in Negril last May - spent some time on the beach - well there is 7 miles of it, there are also cliffside hotels if you are not too mad on the beach, losts of little interesting hotels intimate resorts as well as massive and not very personal all inclusive places. I think it's pretty crazy in the winter as it's high season. Try Treasure Beach which is similar to Negril but a bit quieter on the south coast of Jamaica. It doesn't cost much to ask a taxi driver that you like to take you out for the day and bring you around. the food is lovely, the sea is amazing, the sunsets are like you have never seen. I just want to go back!!! will have to save up a bit of money first.
I hope you find what you are looking for anyway. Oh yeah - avoid Montego Bay - sounds very exotic but it's not.

Re Jamaica

Thanks for that - sounds great though I did hear stories previously of people being advised not to leave he resort they were staying in cos Jamaica was'nt the safest. Are those days a thing of the past? I'm not one for lying on the beach or by the pool for too long - like to get out and about.

Baz.

Re: Re Jamaica

Hi Baz

I was planning on a sun holiday for Christmas week with a couple of friends, but with Christmas day falling on a Saturday this year, you end up having to go away odd numbers of days with most of the regular operators to the Canaries etc. This means you either end up going for 5 days or 9 or 10 days. For us, 5 days was too short and 10 days was too expensive (it's the most expensive time of year for the Canaries). Far flung destinations were too far away for only a week.

In the end, we changed tack and decided to go skiing, which worked out much better value for money and the dates are perfect. We are leaving on the 23rd for Austria and back on the 30th, so we still get New Year without all the Christmas carry-on at home.

Maybe it's something you could check out too. If you are fussy about your dates, you will need to get a wriggle on.

Good luck
Rebecca

Skiing

Would love to go skiing but a very bad knee injury which will require surgery has ruled that out...

Jamaica is safe as long as you aren't in Kingston - I would avoid Montego Bay as well as you might as well be in any built up resort anywhere.
They tell you not to leave the resort because they want you to spend all your money on organised excurisons. Just get some local taxi driver to take you out - agree a price first!
Plenty to do, lovely food, great snorkelling/diving/swimming/ friendly people. i would go back but we've spent all our money on a new house so it'll have to wait a couple of years.

Have to disagree with Jamaica. Went last year and had the worst time ever. I didn't want to go down the resort route, as I wanted to be independant etc... However I was sorry.
Constant (And I mean constant) hassle from locals. It was
low season (Sept) when we were there, which meant we got more than usual..but it was very intimidating. I've been around the world alone, but I have to say Jamaica was the worst place I've been.
I have to mention smoke. It you do like your weed then
Jamaica will be heaven for you. If you don't- well you've been warned! Jamaicans find it hard to believe that you are there for anything else.
One highlight of my trip was that I did meet Rita and Sharon Marley....
Lowlight of the trip- getting into a taxi at the airport and Westlife was on the radio-worse still-Driver was singing along!!!
Anyway I digress..............

sun at Xmas

Hmmmm...thanks for all that. Still don't know where to go ! :(

Back