Stupid SafeFood "don't wash the turkey" campaign

ClubMan said:
I only ever remember turkey (in Dublin) and I'm hitting 40 at this stage... The mother in law's family is from County Cavan and they talk about having goose or duck.

I am older than you and was born and reared in Crumlin and when I was young we had goose. As I got older I would hear people talking about having turkey for Christmas dinner and I thought I was hard done by.

I agree with you I don't like turkey and I have a Lidl goose lined up for dinner on the 25th and a lovely whole ham on the bone

franmac said:
I am older than you and was born and reared in Crumlin and when I was young we had goose. As I got older I would hear people talking about having turkey for Christmas dinner and I thought I was hard done by.
That's interesting. I must grill the previous generations of the family over the holiday to see what their experiences were just out of curiosity.

I agree with you I don't like turkey and I have a Lidl goose lined up for dinner on the 25th and a lovely whole ham on the bone
Not that I don't like it but just that I can take it or leave roast turkey but I really like a nice ham (ooh - er, matron). On the other hand I got some turkey breasts a few weeks ago and made a meal with them which involved slicing them into strips. The wife claims not to like turkey done in this way but I served it to her ostensibly as chicken and she never made any complaints. Later on I pointed this discrepancy to her and she hit me! :D

I was just in Lidl this evening (the nappy run! :)) and noticed that they have frozen duck breasts, goose breasts and whole ducks in stock at the moment. The sister in law also tells me that Aldi also do frozen crispy aromatic (Chinese style) duck which I must try out soon.

I rang the resident cook of my childhood (mother) and I am reliably informed that we had turkey on Christmas day but that we had goose on little christmas day (Jan 6) - as a farmer friend used to give them in the new year.

She and her family used to have goose for Christmas Day.

I prefer goose.

Marion

I bought a frozen goose in Lidl for under €14, which we plan to have some time in January. Goose is the biz but the amount of fat that comes off it is a little disgusting! Some of the fat can be used to make the most fantastic roasties! Yum....

I don't really like turkey, I think it's very dry, once a year is enough for me. I remember when we were younger, my grandad used to kill and pluck the turkeys and hang them upside down and all the blood would be dripping from them. My sister will not even look at a turkey since, she actually has a turkey phobia hahaha.

Carpenter said:
I bought a frozen goose in Lidl for under €14, which we plan to have some time in January. Goose is the biz but the amount of fat that comes off it is a little disgusting! Some of the fat can be used to make the most fantastic roasties! Yum....
Does it become less disgusting when used to coat the spuds or something? ;)

Goose fat is yummy for roasting spuds, but the amount of it which comes
off the goose as you are cooking it, would frighten you.

Was watching Rick Stein cooking a goose during the week and he reccomended that you use a skewer to drain out all the goose fat with half an hour to go, and then change roasting pans for the last half an hour of cooking time......and you use only a small amount of the goose fat for the roasties.
Goose was/is definately a west of Ireland tradition.
Fresh Goose is terribly expensive though.
Don't like the taste of poultry which has been frozen.....prefer fresh.

I remember seeing a freshly plucked turkey hanging in my parents shed when I was very young - maybe that's what turned me vegetarian all those years ago!

..but roast stuffed nut cutlets for Christmas dinner wouldnt quite be the same....d

Cahir said:
I remember seeing a freshly plucked turkey hanging in my parents shed when I was very young - maybe that's what turned me vegetarian all those years ago!
I saw Gordon Ramsey's programme the other night when they were slaughtering (electrocuting) his turkeys. I reckon everybody should see animals slaughtered and know where their meat comes from and then make their own mind up about it. Hiding it away and attempting to sanitise the whole slaughtering process is just silly. For the record I was a vegetarian for a few years a few decades ago for no one specific reason but am an omnivore now.

I saw that Gordon Ramsey programme and it upset me a little (and I'm not one to get upset easily!). I completely agree that people should know where their meat comes from and it doesn't bother me when people around me eat meat. I just hate it when some meat eaters are bothered by the fact that I'm vegetarian and just keep going on about it throughout an entire meal!

I thought that at least the turkeys had a nice life before they were killed.
I hate when animals are kept in terrible conditions before being killed.
I was a veggie until I got pregnant with number one and had to have steak!

I think the best moment of today was epotimised by by my grumpy 3-year old nephew who on looking at the turkey decided to opine that “I hate turkey anyway"!

Marion

Well I have to say I took my life in my hands and cleaned the turkey anyway. So far we're all still alive.

We had goose (free-range, reared in the back garden, fed on food-scraps and slaughtered and 'hung' - over the bath - by my father) until the mid 1950's.

I like turkey goose and duck, never more so when someone else is doing the cooking...but this year, brother-in-law once removed cooked duck over a wood fire for christmas day and it was the nicest christmas dinner ever.

Back