Study Leave & Your Employer

seriams

What is the normal study leave given by your employer?. I'm doing accountancy exams and the intention is to stay with the same company once qualified (if I qualify!!).

If they support the accountancy exams they should have this set down in your contract or staff hand book? Most employers would give a few days study leave, but if it's not set down you may need to take annual leave. Anyone else there in your company done the exams in similar circumstances?

No, it's a small company and they are very flexible. I was just wondering what I could expect. There is no contract drawn up and I'm not taking sponsorship until I see how I get on in my exams.

My Company gives 2 days for each exam but it is capped at 6 days in total per year.

3 per year which I used for exams which the daft college schedule last minute so you can't plan leave around them. Daft because its a distance learning course for people who work full time.

It amazes me because while its a night-time course, it's a full time course and requires more than a few hours at the weekend to prepare for. My course is 3 nights per week 6:30pm - 9:30pm and is fairly intense.
I would have had Saturday class also only for being exempt.
3 days seems very few, 6 does too i guess, especially if you're being sponsored by the company.

We get 6 study days and each exam day as well - you do have to get it apporved first as the course shoudl be related to work.

Beautfan, Are you working for a big company? It's a great deal that you are getting.

When I was doing my degree (B. Sc. in IT, also by distance education) I didn't get any study leave from HSE for the first 3 years as the course wasn't considered relevant.

Then our service began the process of computerisation, the course suddenly became relevant, and I got 1 week's study leave for each of the 3 remaining years of the course, exam leave (needed exactly one half-day, as all but one of my exams were on Saturdays!) and got 40% refund of course fees when I passed the exams.

In my diploma and degree exam years, I took 3 months unpaid leave to study and get myself through the work!

AAhhhh. That explains it.
I hope you thank all your private sector friends.

in civil service, if you don't pass the exams first time, the cost is not covered at all. And you have to get a loan up front to cover the tuition/exam fees until you receive your exam results.

all of my friends in the private sector have their tuition paid in full by their employer - even if they have to repeat the exams. And no loan is needed, as the employer pays up front.

Purple, you really are under illusions about the civil service... but's that's another thread's work!

in civil service, if you don't pass the exams first time, the cost is not covered at all. And you have to get a loan up front to cover the tuition/exam fees until you receive your exam results.

all of my friends in the private sector have their tuition paid in full by their employer - even if they have to repeat the exams. And no loan is needed, as the employer pays up front.

Purple, you really are under illusions about the civil service... but's that's another thread's work!

Am afraid I’d have to agree with Purple here, folk in the private sector who receive study leave and have their fees & lectures paid by employers are paid far less as a result, having been thru the system all accounting firms I’m aware of pay annual & exam fees upfront and will pay for the lectures for the 1st attempt at an exam, should u fail the exam you pay yourself next time, ask any trainee accountant working in practice and you will see their salaries are extremely low…..as for pension contributions by their employers…well that’s for another thread!

In reference to the OP’s thread I would check out the website for your accounting body, you should get info on study leave on that

We pay fees if exams are passed and the subject being studied has a direct and specific benefit to the company. If we don’t think the individual is committed to the company we will not agree to any financial support or time off. We don’t have a policy of giving study leave but if we have asked someone to do a course etc then we will provide study time (of a few days) and pay the fees if they pass or fail.

...ask any trainee accountant working in practice and you will see their salaries are extremely low…..as for pension contributions by their employers…well that’s for another thread!...

No offense, but spare us the sob story. Since accountancy isn't a vocation, if the figures didn't work they wouldn't be doing it. Bottom rung of a lot of industries, Public Sector included, is poorly paid.

No offense, but spare us the sob story. Since accountancy isn't a vocation, if the figures didn't work they wouldn't be doing it. Bottom rung of a lot of industries, Public Sector included, is poorly paid.
So if it was a vocation they should be better paid, is that what you are saying?:confused:

Groan.

If the figures didn't work they wouldn't do it. Accountancy is not a vocation.

or even

Accountancy is not a vocation.

or

its not a vocation.

or

Get a grip. :)

Its not a sob story, far from it, point I was making was Trainee Accountants (in practice) get lots of study leave and fees paid for (assuming they pass) the flip side of this is that they get paid low salaries until they qualify.

Its not a sob story, far from it, point I was making was Trainee Accountants (in practice) get lots of study leave and fees paid for (assuming they pass) the flip side of this is that they get paid low salaries until they qualify.
Yes, good point. It's a trade off as they invest in their future. They get the knowledge and experience and their employer gets people to do the donkeywork for low wages. Everybody wins.

Back