Strange Boiler Issue.

Markove

Hello . I have an old Potterton Gas Boiler here at home - not working, out of order and completely disconnected from the supply. Just this morning I noticed a connecting waterpipe into the back of the boiler has begun to leak, only a small amount but dripping steadily and not abating. This is peculiar as the machine has not even been switched on for over three months. Can anybody here speculate what might be causing this and if there is anything I can do before calling a plumber . I do intend getting it replaced but not until early Autumn as funds are tight at the moment. There are no other plumbing related problems in the house at the moment. I will try to upload a photo. Thanks.

Attachments

• DSC_0001.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 16
  • DSC_0002.JPG
    6.1 MB · Views: 12
  • DSC_0001.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 12
  • DSC_0004.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Hi. No it's the pipe connected to the red part (whatever that's called) at the back. That's where the main leak is. In the other areas there is slight seepage at the joints.

It looks like you've corrosion on the brass joints. That would usually only happen if there's acidic water, but might have happened if the system wasn't used for a long time.
It'd be worth getting a plumber in and cap off the water supply to boiler before you've a major leak.

It looks like you've corrosion on the brass joints. That would usually only happen if there's acidic water, but might have happened if the system wasn't used for a long time.
It'd be worth getting a plumber in and cap off the water supply to boiler before you've a major leak.
Okay. Thank you.

Back