Stopping at Shannon for 40 mins

Why not do as i do ? Travel direct ex Belfast no stopovers. Much quieter & more efficient airport than Dublin. Although I live in Dublin I get in & out so much faster that even the all motorway journey up North is worth it. Best of all if you stay even one night in the nice new hotel directly across the road from departures you can park there for free up to 14 days & avoiding the rip off prices & bus journeys to & from the car parks.
Shannon is a dump & our stopover took us over 2 hours last time.

battyee - what are the flight options ex-Belfast ? That sounds interesting, and while I have considered flying East to get better flights West, driving North could be even better.

z

"ALL" Aer Lingus flights via Shannon amount to three daily sevices (two to JFK in the Summer and one to BOS).
It's FIVE. There are two JFK services, two Boston services, and a daily Chicago.

Again as in my previous post the choice is yours - there are daily direct Dublin sevices to JFK, Newark, Boston, Chicago, Philadelphia, Atlanta and LAX.
JFK = Aer Lingus
Boston = Aer Lingus
Chicago = Aer Lingus
LAX = Aer Lingus
Newark = Continental*
Atlanta = Delta*
Philadelphia = US Air*

* All operated with narrow-body Boeing 757 aircraft, as opposed to Aer Lingus' widebody A330.

50% of those US airlines flights must also operate through Shannon - its the law, but if you look at their websites you'll find it equally difficult to tell which of their flights go through Shannon.
For example, check out the Continental Timetable here: [broken link removed]
and tell me, which of the flights ex Dublin go through Shannon? Which are non-stop?
That Continental timetable appears to say they fly Dublin direct to Houston.
They don't.
It is actually a Dublin - Newark - Houston flight!

American, US Airways, and Continental operate daily turnaround services into Shannon with high load factors. The Shannon "stop" is not an issue for these carriers as they are fllling the seats out of Shannon.
Are you trying to confuse the readership? None of those US flights ORIGINATE or TERMINATE in Shannon. They are forced to land in Shannon before going on to Dublin or the US. The vast majority of passengers are getting on or off in Dublin, NOT Shannon.
Its exactly the same scenario as applies with Aer Lingus.

I'm getting the feeling you consider the mandatory stopover a GOOD THING? Are you from the Shannon area perchance? Good for you then - no doubt!
As for Aer Lingus what "anti-competition" excuse will they use when the new bilaterial is agreed.
Ireland cannot agree any 'new' bilateral. All EU member state bilaterals were declared ILLEGAL by the EU Courts back in November 2002!
The EU 'Open Skies' negotiations (which I think you are mistakenly referring to as a ' new bilateral') are failing - and given the US political/security situation Open Skies is now highly unlikely to happen - so don't hold your breath on your 'new bilateral'.

And contrary to your dig - as much as Aer Lingus doesn't want to be forced to fly long haul aircraft into Shannon nor does any other long-haul airline. Its a waste of fuel and resources and adds pointless cost through landing fees, crew duty time, wear and tear on aircraft through excessive flight cycles which lead to earlier maintenance downtime.
Long haul aircraft are not designed to be used on 25 minute commuter routes!

If the stopover is abolished Aer Lingus can service Shannons transatlantic passengers with their short haul aircraft which are designed for such short flights. These will feed Shannon passengers into the Dublin based Transatlantic services.
The day the stopover is abolished you'll never see another scheduled US long-haul aircraft in Shannon airport.
Except maybe troop carriers (now thats a whole other kettle of fish).

But now that the Open Skies agreement is dead - there's every chance the Shannon Lobby (which does not include Aer Lingus!) will try to roll back the stopover decision.
And remember the bilateral applies to carriers from both jurisdictions.
Mr.Mannion has already declared his long haul expansion plans for Aer Lingus. He has the aircraft on order to service the new destinations - first due for delivery early next year.
Aer Lingus has little to fear from these lame duck US carriers, Delta is in Chapter11 bankruptcy protection (another scurrilous anti-competitive cheat) and the other two have only recently emerged from it.

The US is afraid to open their skies to Europe because it knows its weak major carriers can't compete and are likely to collapse in the face of open competition.
Aer lingus is champing at the bit for the opportunity.

Your post is mileading.

Aer Lingus operate three US bound flights through Shannon - one daily service to JFK and Boston and an additional JFK flight on Saturday afternoon. All the other Aer Lingus flights are direct non stop from Dublin.

American operate a daily direct flight from Boston, US Airways likwise from Philadelphia and Continental from Newark. These flights turaround at Shannon.

US Airways and Continental also fly direct to Dublin from Philadelphia and Newark and American direct to Dublin from Chicago. These are seperate routes to the Shannon services.

Delta operate their Atlanta service direct to Dublin via Shannon on alternate days. Delta also fly to New York from Dublin and Shannon.

Over 550,000 transatlantic passengers choose Shannon their destination airport last year (this does not include troop movements which are classified as transit traffic).

Your post is mileading.

Aer Lingus operate three US bound flights through Shannon - one daily service to JFK and Boston and an additional JFK flight on Saturday afternoon.
You still aren't counting the Chicago flight - EI-125, and you didn't explain why the Orlando charter flight had to route through Shannon until it was finally killed off.

American operate a daily direct flight from Boston, US Airways likwise from Philadelphia and Continental from Newark. These flights turaround at Shannon.

US Airways and Continental also fly direct to Dublin from Philadelphia and Newark and American direct to Dublin from Chicago. These are seperate routes to the Shannon services.

Delta operate their Atlanta service direct to Dublin via Shannon on alternate days. Delta also fly to New York from Dublin and Shannon.
None of which can be determined from their website timetables.

Over 550,000 transatlantic passengers choose Shannon their destination airport last year (this does not include troop movements which are classified as transit traffic).
550,000 huh? Well lets see now....divide that figure by 365 and we get 1500 passengers PER DAY, year round. Now, given that the aircraft on the route are typically around 250 seaters - that would mean 6 flights per day (minimum) would have to operate at maximum load factor (full in other words) to carry the number you claim. Six flights per day, year round, completely full.
Patent nonsense.
There may be six flights per day through Shannon IN SUMMER ONLY, but they don't all operate full - I can guarentee you that - and the schedule cuts back in winter. So do the load factors.
At least HALF of the flights also originate in Dublin - where they picked up the MAJORITY of their passengers. These people are FORCED to to route through Shannon. They do not 'choose' Shannon.
How do YOU define 'choose'? Where do you get that number from?

The Aer Lingus Chicago flight originates in Shannon and has a DUBLIN stopover in both directions.
A fight reservations search on US Airways, Continental & American will show seperate direct flights for Shannon and Dublin from which you can CHOOSE your destination airport.
The transatlantic pax numbers for Shannon includes Canadian flights and charter traffic originating in Ireland and North America.

This is my last posting on this topic.

The Chicago flight originates in Shannon because one way or another Aer Lingus MUST by law(!) put T/A flights through Shannon and that is one way of doing it.
You continue to ignore the absurdity of a LAW which REQUIRES airlines to put flights through Shannon, and the huge waste and subsequent costs - which are naturally passed on to the customers.

Even if the ruling changes tomorrow it doesn't alter the fact that for over 30 years the political lobby in the West has held the rest of the country - and the travelling public - to ransom on this issue. The costs had a huge impact on Aer Lingus' profitability, and is part of the reason why the airline struggled for years. Aer Lingus has always had to battle uphill against political interference and skullduggery.
I remember when they bought a B767 in the mid 90's to inaugurate a DIRECT Los Angeles service from Dublin. The Shannon lobby went ballistic and forced the government to make it operate through Shannon. The route was shut down after a half dozen trips as a direct result.

If you're so confident that Shannon can do without this anti-competitive law, why do the Shannon lobby INSIST that a change will kill Shannon? You can't have it both ways.
"500K people WANT to come to Shannon - and if they don't, we'll MAKE 'em".

Breath of fresh air Grizzles...or a fag?
There's no smoking in the terminal building - so you'll have to hold your breath until you get to Dublin - which is where you wanted to be in the first place, right?

Breath of fresh air Grizzles...or a fag?
There's no smoking in the terminal building - so you'll have to hold your breath until you get to Dublin - which is where you wanted to be in the first place, right?

I happened to be in Shannon one early morning a few months ago and there is a smoking area airside i.e. you do not have to exit the terminal building. Its a bit of a walk down a few flights of stairs. I suspect this was provided for the huge numbers of US troops transitting who would not be allowed to go into the public areas

Sorry, Meccano, I don't smoke.! I'm afraid it's a lot worse than that it's the dreaded claustrophobia. When I am flying it doesn't effect me provided the cabin is cool. When I am stopped on the tarmac awaiting take off in a warm cabin it's awful. Also when the plane lands and everyone is standing up in the aisles waiting to get off the plane. Can't even take on bord the bottled water and pocket fan, the crutches that get me through.

Back