Stopping at Shannon for 40 mins

Grizzly

When I am returning from the USA after a forthcoming holiday I have been told that our flight will stop at Shannon for 40 mins before it continues to Dublin. Does this mean that the passengers will be left on the plane for the duration or will we be able to stretch our legs in the terminal? Is this for re-fuelling or to let on/offload passengers?

Re: Stopping at Shannon for 40 mins..

You can get of or stay on (normally).
Some Passengers will be departing at shannon, also passengers wil be getting on for the shannon dublin flight.

Is this for re-fuelling or to let on/offload passengers?

You won't be allowed off the plane if your destination is for Dublin.

As to why they need to stop, airlines operating flights between the USA and Ireland must have at least 50% of their flights make a stop at Shannon Airport. The government keep it in place to keep the airport financially viable. Dure to be abolished next year.

You'll stay on board for that stop over

I think the only circumstances where you'd get off the plane is if you're flying Dublin - Shannon - USA, and the flight pre-clears US immigration in Shannon .. then all Dublin passengers need to get off and clear immigration at Shannon.

In your case flying USA-Shannon-Dublin - this doesn't apply .. it's really just a "pitstop"... as pointed out above it's nothing to do with operation necessity or anything usually it's all down to politics :)

So, effectively I have to stay on the plane for another 40 minutes, parked on the runway, breathing stale smelly air, maybe in the baking heat, maybe even breathing diesel fumes, all because of politics. Will they even open the doors to let fresh air in?

When I flew back from New York last year we were given the choice to stay on board or get off. I don't know if this is the norm. I flew with Aer Lingus.

When I flew back from New York last year we were given the choice to stay on board or get off. I don't know if this is the norm. I flew with Aer Lingus.

Similarly, on our way back from Boston in March we stopped in Shannon on the way home. Passengers were given the choice of staying on or getting off. Those who got off were given a tempoary plastic 'boarding card'. We then boarded the aircraft with those passengers getting on for the first time at Shannon. So it was not a case of getting on and off the plane willy nilly. This was with Aer Lingus. Perhaps other airlines operate a different policy...

We were advised we weren't allowed off when we arrived in Shannon - Aer Lingus.

Maybe it's the particular crew on board who decide if you can get off or not ?

or possibly how quickly the slot is for take off again, ie when exactly they expect to land in DUBLIN

Don't gripe about stopping at Shannon - the choice is yours !!
Aer Lingus opeate non stop flights from Dublin to New York as well as a flight that routes through Shannon on the outbound and return. Usually the flight with the Shannon stopover is marginally cheaper that the direct flight from Dublin. The stopover is more like 50/60 mins than 40mins. Continental also fly to Newark direct from Dublin.

gdf

Aer Lingus don't always tell you. I had tickets that said non stop. The Dublin - New York leg was direct but when I turned up for the flight home I found out it was stopping in Shannon.

There was nothing on my e-ticket stating this. I had booked tickets for my mother and her friends for later in the year so I checked them when I came back. The tickets said non stop but the times didn't add up so I rang them. They confirmed that the flights I booked stopped in Shannon on both legs. I wasn't to happy and all they offered was to waive the charge for changing the tickets for another flight. This didn't suit as the hotel was booked and the non stop flight had skyrocketed. They wouldn't budge on waiving the extra cost on the flight. They told me to submit my complaint in writing which I did. Month's later I got a letter acknowledging their error, stating their website was now fixed but unfortunately they couldn't offer me any compensation. I rang the ODCA to see what rights I had and in short they didn't want to know. They said I could take them to the small claims court etc. but at that stage I had enough and I left it.

Very interesting stuff. I have booked a package with a travel company that I have used in the past but have now decided that this is the last time I will use them. There are too many problems/complaints/ little annoying things, occuring with their packages. If you have a problem, you contact them, and they don't want to know. Their attitude to me as a regular customer is superior and condescending.
Reading the holiday advert for this trip it says "Return flights from Dublin to Boston with Aer Lingus" further down it says "Flight departs Dublin on Friday afternoon and arrives in Boston on Friday afternoon. Flight departs Boston on Sunday evening and arrives in Dublin on Monday morning". Absolutely no mention anywhere of the 40 minute stop off in Shannon, even in their "additional notes".
I was required to pay a "non refundable" €600 deposit. When I paid this and received my confirmation invoice I was then told that there would be a 40 minute stop on the return leg.
I probably would have still gone on the trip but why they held back this bit of information is "sneaky".

If the flight is 'on-time' or even 'early' arriving in Shannon you MAY be offered the option to get off and stretch your legs. If there are no passengers joining the flight in Shannon the aircraft will probably depart early, so you'll be kept on board in that case.

If the flight is 'late-in' to Shannon then the policy is to turn the aircraft around as quickly as possible to make up for the late arrival. In that case you are likely to be kept on board to facilitate this.

The whole Shannon stopover thing is a farce, kept in place by snivelling politicians who are looking after their own patch at the cost of the airlines and the travelling public. The sooner its gone the better.

I returned from New York yesterday with my family. We flew direct to JFK from Dublin, but, only learnt about the stopover at Shannon on our return after checking in at JFK! This irritated us as there was no mention on our ticket. Travellers going on to Dublin were asked to remain on the plane. We were on the ground for only 50 minutes and the flight from Shannon took only 25 minutes. There were passengers, originally booked on an American airline getting off at Shannon. Other passengers boarded for the flight to Dublin.

These stopovers should be highlighted on all tickets. The Shannon stopover debate surfaces now and then in the media and seems to have more to do with old style Ireland politics than logistics.

I will say that the Aer Lingus flight, on an airbus, was very good. The air conditioning was perfect and there was no problem walking around the plane to stretch the legs. The cabin crew were the usual high standard.

Aer Lingus told me they had fixed their website so this oversight wouldn't happen again. Looks like it is still happening. They are deliberately misleading people. When I complained their attitude was you still got what you wanted Dub - NY.

Just to highlight the utter stupidity of this rule - when Aer Lingus was operating to Orlando last year, they were allowed to go direct Dublin - Orlando, but on the return leg they had to make a mandatory stop in Shannon. This stop is for no reason than to satisfy the Shannon Lobby group and other local vested interests. Since the flight was inaugurated and sold as a CHARTER service (because of US restrictions which prevent Ireland flying to more than 4 SCHEDULED destinations) the passengers were ALL solely travelling between Dublin and Orlando.
You therefore had the idiotic scenario where these long range A330's, with only 10 minutes flight time remaining direct to Dublin, would have to divert off track and land in Shannon - taxi in, shut down, open doors and get a piece of paper, then close up and head off to Dublin again. No passengers on/off the flight in Shannon!
A crazy waste of fuel, crew duty time, peoples patience, aircraft maintenance cycles, landing fees etc etc etc...Irish politics at its most cynical.

Pity you removed my post Clubman, I know you hate being contradicted but it might have enlightened and interested some of the readers.

Meanwhile, for the benefit of those in any doubt - except for the EI-105 and the EI-109 (both JFK) and the EI-145 (LAX) - ALL Aer Lingus transatlantic flights WESTBOUND go through Shannon.

The EI-125 to Chicago actually originates in Shannon, so it goes Shannon - Dublin - Chicago.

EASTBOUND they ALL go through Shannon, except the EI-104 (JFK) and the EI-124 (Chicago) and the EI-144 (LAX).

Your post was removed because it breached the posting guidelines (#10 in particular) - no other reason.

"ALL" Aer Lingus flights via Shannon amount to three daily sevices (two to JFK in the Summer and one to BOS). Again as in my previous post the choice is yours - there are daily direct Dublin sevices to JFK, Newark, Boston, Chicago, Philadelphia, Atlanta and LAX.

American, US Airways, and Continental operate daily turnaround services into Shannon with high load factors. The Shannon "stop" is not an issue for these carriers as they are fllling the seats out of Shannon. As for Aer Lingus what "anti-competition" excuse will they use when the new bilaterial is agreed. And remember the bilateral applies to carriers from both jurisdictions.

Back