Statement from an old closed account

tnegun

I was in BOI today looking for the statement detail from an account for a now-closed account in operation from early 2013 to mid-2015. The could only give me the opening and closing page saying this was due to 7 years had elapsing since it had opened. I tried arguing that might explain a few months missing but not everything and that they had the first page from March 2013 so there was a contradiction in what they were saying, branch manager confirmed the same but did say they would ecalate internally. Should they still have these details?

In a nutshell, no. Normal requirements is for them to hold records for 7 years. Not sure why they would have kept the first page to be honest, might have been a fluke.

I would put money on it that they have all the details and transactions on file. I worked for the BoI years ago and they kept stuff forever. Keep the pressure up, you may have to pay a fee though.

I don't mind paying if it's a reasonable cost. It was the blanket that account was opened more that 7 years ago response so it's gone that got me. I said it would be fair enough if I could only go back 7 years from today but thought that their interpretation was flawed using the account opening date so it expired in March of this year.

It's gone from their systems in branch but is probably archived off site in storage facilities. There is usually a charge per page of the statement. It won't be instant, they will have to request that box back and someone goes through it to find the relevant stuff.

Back