State Pension. Does Social Welfare, notify tax office of amounts received at year end.

TrundleAlong

Both myself and my wife are in receipt of the State Pension.

We need to complete a tax return for 2019.

Does anyone know if the Department of Social Welfare make a return of the amounts that we received to the tax office or do we have to request a certificate of payments received and forward these on to the tax office ourselves.

Thanks

I helped someone with a Statement of Liability (formerly P21) recently and the jobseekers she had received during the year was on her record already so they are certainly returning some payments to Revenue. Both of her employment pay and tax details were there also.

Both myself and my wife are in receipt of the State Pension.

We need to complete a tax return for 2019.

Does anyone know if the Department of Social Welfare make a return of the amounts that we received to the tax office or do we have to request a certificate of payments received and forward these on to the tax office ourselves.

Thanks

Just went into My Account Revenue yesterday. It shows earnings tax deducted etc from income continuance I receive and earnings and deductions from spouses income.
It does not anything for invalidity pension I receive so I may add on myself to my return?

For two years now I have spent several hours trying to sort out the mess that the Social Welfare has made to my tax affairs based on their incorrect returns to the Tax Office.

I transitioned in 2018 from a Social Welfare payment to a State Contributory pension in March. I discovered that the return the Social Welfare made on my behalf to the tax office included not only my 2018 payments received for January, February and March 2018 but also a few months payments of social welfare that I received in 2017.

Fast forward to 2020. My wife commenced receiving her Contributory State pension in April 2019. She had been on Invalidity Pension from September 2018. I contacted the Social Welfare here https://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/secure/OnlineStatementRequest.aspx and specifically asked for a certificate showing the amount of payments received for 2019 only. They sent out a certificate showing not only her payments for 2019 but also included a number of months payments that she received in 2018.

Despite the fact that I am doing our tax return for 2019 the Department of Social Welfare do not appear to be able to give a certificate up to the 31st December 2019 from the 1st January. When I contacted them they huffed and puffed saying that they would have to do this manually.....why?

I would advise anyone who is doing a tax return to double check the figures that the Social Welfare are sending to the tax office on your behalf as you could easily be taxed twice on some payments received.

I request a statement each year from SW (and check it carefully) before I do my tax return.
Maybe it's just the sceptic in me

Despite the fact that I am doing our tax return for 2019 the Department of Social Welfare do not appear to be able to give a certificate up to the 31st December 2019 from the 1st January.
Same with me. I requested specific information for a specific period, on their online form. 1st January to 31st December.
I got a printout showing lots of information that I did not request and for different dates.
Same thing happened last year. I ended up having to make at least 3 phone calls.
Talking to the person on the phone was like talking to someone on their first day of work. Hadn't a clue, didn't know what to do, she kept talking about "they", rather than "we" or even "I" will sort it out for you.

This person wouldn't last a week in the private sector and the person who printed out the incorrect information obviously just pressed a button and never checked the request against the information printed.

This person wouldn't last a week in the private sector and the person who printed out the incorrect information obviously just pressed a button and never checked the request against the information printed.

Every organisation has people like this. When I ring the Department of Social Welfare, the phone is eventually answered by someone who you know absolutely hates taking phone calls. They sound terrified. Of course it might just be my bad luck. All the efficient people, who are answering 3 times more calls than the others, are all busy and I am left with nervous and incompetent Mary. ( with due respect to all the competent Marys that work in the public service).

But....they really need to get their act together.

1. When our Social Welfare Department issues payments a covering note for each one is supplied on issue of the transfer of money or cheque issued. If you have lost the details you cannot blame the Dept of Social Welfare. They are not your personal secretary and you wouldn't have to be waiting for annual statements.
2. Where income tax is due on the SW payment you may be penalised @ 8% pa by Revenue on amounts paid to you.
3. For the record:- I keep spreadsheets of any payments in our direction.

. When our Social Welfare Department issues payments a covering note for each one is supplied on issue of the transfer of money or cheque issued. If you have lost the details you cannot blame the Dept of Social Welfare. They are not your personal secretary and you wouldn't have to be waiting for annual statements.
I don't get any paper notification when my State Pension is paid in to my bank account. The Revenue have asked me for a statement to confirm the amount received when I was in dispute.

I don't get any paper notification when my State Pension is paid in to my bank account. The Revenue have asked me for a statement to confirm the amount received when I was in dispute.

Yes you do, the amount appears on your bank account.

Yes you do, the amount appears on your bank account.
Playing with words again Leper. There is no "covering note" issued on payments. A figure just appears on your bank statement. Nothing else.

Playing with words again Leper. There is no "covering note" issued on payments. A figure just appears on your bank statement. Nothing else.

I'm not playing with words, I always try to post as accurate as possible. I'm delighted you found your bank statement. The award from Social Welfare is usually the same week after week. Just look for figures that are the same and you can make an educated decision of the amount of the SW awards made to you.

I'm only trying to have you source the correct figures asap.

Online application on Monday. Certificate received today - Wednesday. I think that is fairly prompt!

Just look for figures that are the same and you can make an educated decision of the amount of the SW awards made to you.
You still don't get it. The Revenue have asked for a Certificate of the amount paid.

Online application on Monday. Certificate received today - Wednesday. I think that is fairly prompt!

In my case I applied online and, yes, the cert was posted out in a few days. However it was wrong. So I made the phone call and explained the problem. The person seemed to understand the problem and she said she would post out a new cert. A few days later I again received a wrong cert. In fact it was a copy of the exact same incorrect cert that was originally posted out to me.

So, today, I have phoned them again.

Back