Stamp duty for house we never lived in?

Dunners

Bought a house last December - new build & no stamp duty payable as it's under the threshold. We spent quite a long time doing it up so never actually moved into it.

Now however, our situation has changed and it looks like we may sell it and buy elsewhere. The only problem is that the 3rd phase of the estate is still under construction, so I don't see why anyone would buy our house as a second-hand home (ie paying stamp duty on the purchase), when identical houses are available more cheaply as brand-new homes without having to pay stamp duty.

Is there any way to get around this? Given that we never lived in the house, is it possible to sell it as a new home?

thanks!

Hi Dunners

sorry to say the house is no longer new as you are now the registered owners as per the Land Registry, once first registration has occurred that means its now second hand

you could still attract First Time Buyers depending on the purchase price you are asking for!! if its below €317,500 you can still advertise to that market

regards
Deirdre Leonard
[email protected]

I'm actually in the same situation only I'm the one looking to buy!!
The vendor bought the house and paid no stamp duty, but now wants to sell it. He's looking for €353k (2 bed apartment in lucan village). However if I purchase this property I'll be caught out with stamp of €10.5k, whereas all the other apartments were bought new from the builder and at a cheaper price. Do you think I'm crazy to buy it with stamp of that much as it's a new apartment, but was never lived in!!!!

niamhjones said:
I'm actually in the same situation only I'm the one looking to buy!!
The vendor bought the house and paid no stamp duty, but now wants to sell it. He's looking for €353k (2 bed apartment in lucan village). However if I purchase this property I'll be caught out with stamp of €10.5k, whereas all the other apartments were bought new from the builder and at a cheaper price. Do you think I'm crazy to buy it with stamp of that much as it's a new apartment, but was never lived in!!!!

Yep, I think your crazy to buy this one if new ones are still on the market, unless your a FTB and dont have to pay the stamp duty.

Does this apartment have something the other ones dont have, that €10k wouldn't buy

deem said:
Yep, I think your crazy to buy this one if new ones are still on the market, unless your a FTB and dont have to pay the stamp duty.
Since the property is second hand and over €317,500 even a FTB will have to pay some SD.

Back