Spitting

Gordanus said:
Thought for the day: If exercise caused welling up of saliva, wouldn't gyms have spittoons? (Yeeerk - perish the thought!)

Did you read Dr M's article?
Cuspidors are still manufactured today, and commonly seen in fitness centers and gyms adjacent to a drinking fountain

Then the cuspidor is for spitting out the water you have just swilled around your mouth...........
RainyDay, may I suggest you spit into a receptacle and measure it. I'd be very surprised if you managed to eject more than 100mls of saliva/mucus (not sure what you are hawking up). (A mug full would be around 250mls, and any stomach can cope with that!)

Gordanus said:
any stomach can cope with that!)

better out than in though !!

When playing sports attempting to swallow saliva while wheezing like old nag would almost surely finish me off. You would think that players who have done someting remarkable (like scoring) would refrain from spitting for the few seconds that the camera is most likely to be on them.

Gordanus said:
RainyDay, may I suggest you spit into a receptacle and measure it.
Should I balance this receptacle on my handlebars while weaving in & out of the slow moving traffic and avoiding the drivers who regularly travel the wrong way down the 1-way street on my cycle route?

RainyDay said:
Should I balance this receptacle on my handlebars

I'm sure you could attach it to your handlebars, or to your chin and just dribble it in, jsut as an experiment to see how much excreta you are producing. I'm only suggesting this as you claim the volume produced is too much to swallow. Don't know what you're doing anyway to produce so much saliva - or is it mucus? May I repeat that salivation is NOT a physiological response to exercise.

Ok I confess - I'm doing it on purpose. I think to myself 'let's get some more saliva now, quickly before I get to the next lights'.

Back