Speeding fine and points

sully

Hi There,

I got a speeding ticket last week on an approach to a town. However there was a car directly in front of me that i was keeping at a reasonable distance and coming into the town i began to slow, however the car in front did not( space between us increased). However the car in front was not pulled over and I was. The reading on the laser was supposedly 83kms in a 60 km zone.

I am just wondering if it is possible that the laser took the reading of the first car and we were stopped by mistake. i said this to the guard at the time and he said to write into his superior if i wanted to query this.all he said is that the car in front wasn't speeding but i suspect he knew him as a local to the town.

is it worth proceeding in this course of action or am i better off paying the fine. Its more the points on the license i am concerned about as i already have 2(previous speeding violation which was a fair cop) from a while back. but am concerned how it might affect my insurance premuims.

Ps its amazing to see that the guards seems to do more checks in nice bright weather than in the wet;)

If you were speeding you've got to take the hit.

The fact that the car in front was also speeding and didn't get done is unfortunately irrelevant.

I have no problem paying the fine in the case that i was speeding but as i said as i approached the town i did slow down probably to about 65kms or so i am wondering if it was the car in front that was detected and then i was pulled over by mistake

I see.

Big difference between 65 and 83kph.

If you feel you've been wronged appeal it.

Depends on the limit.

Was it
(a) 60 kph;
(b) 80 kph; or
(c) 100 kph

I'm presuming that it was 60kph if it was on the outskirts of a town?

CCOVICH said:
I'm presuming that it was 60kph if it was on the outskirts of a town?
Isn't that what the original poster said?
sully said:
The reading on the laser was supposedly 83kms in a 60 km zone.
Unless the "supposedly" applies to both the measured speed and the speed limit zone?!

Sully was doing "65" on the clock, say that's about "60" real speed.
Now the speedo is in mph, so Sully could have read in fact "60" in MPH instead of KMPH, that's 60 * 1.6 = 96 kmph

If guards allows for margin (to take into account imprecision of device + margin so that there is no discussion as to whether it is 59 or 60 or 61) of say 10% --> 96kmph - 10% = 86.4 kmph, which is close to the "83 kmph" mentionned in original post.

Could there be confusion between speedo in MPH and speed limit/check in KMPH?

Hi Bachhus i was doing about 40MPH on the clock which roughly is 65Kph. so Its not the conversion to Kms i am worried about. I might pay up anyway as i dont want a court case out of this. i did mention the car in front of me to the garda and he wasn't sure himself and said to send a letter to his superior. Its not that i am trying to whinge out of a ticket its just that i was very close to the limit and was making a conscious effort to abide by the speed limits since being caught for speeding before. But as clubman says i was probably slightly over the speed limit, but not by the amount on the laser.

i wish that cars would put in a digital speed reading as it would probably be more accurate. as i do equate the speed limits to MPH still ie 100kph=60MPH, 60kph=40MPH and 50kph=30mph. I know this isn't accurate but it just the level i use and can remember easily.

[broken link removed]:
[font=Arial, Verdana, Helvetica]8. The changeover from mph to km/h will be supported by a major €2.5 million nationwide integrated public awareness programme involving TV, radio, press and outdoor advertising, and public relations. Every household in the country will be receiving a special leaflet outlining the new km/h speed limits. This leaflet, which contains a conversion table will also be available through the press and from petrol stations, Garda stations, libraries and other outlets. The leaflet will be available in both English and Irish and is also being produced in five foreign languages to cater for different ethnic groups. A dedicated Lo-Call number 1890 50 60 80 is available to cater for individual queries

[/font]

I got the leaflet but I never got the sticker. I seem to remember there was some difficulty with it at the time.

Around the time of the change over I started a rather long thread on the issue. If I find it Ill link it here.

For the moment I multiply the kph speedlimit by 6 and move the decimal point and then use the mph. I would prefer to switch entirely to kph but my kph dial is small blue on a black background an is illegible. I will be a few years beforeI can afford to update my car and hopefully by then it will be denominated in km.

aj

Back