Special Incentive Career Break Scheme as applied in the HSE. Outrageous

Re: Special Civil Service Incentive Career Break Scheme as applied in the HSE. Outrag

From what I've hear, many people who applied for the PTSB scheme were unable to actually get it. Also, very very few were approved it. Very low take-up.

Re: Special Civil Service Incentive Career Break Scheme as applied in the HSE. Outrag

Getting back to the HSE issue and unlike other areas of the public/civil service - all this career break thing is currently suspended there. HSE staff can apply for it and the early retirement scheme - but there's no indication if or when they'll be offered it.

I read that the unions dug in their heels about members being asked to take on the responsibilities of colleagues who were out on the scheme. I read also that Prof. Drumm was worried that he'd lose experienced staff to the schemes and that this would have a negative impact - I believe that a career break etc., is not on offer to certain staff and for the rest, it can be refused if that person is thought to be indispensable!

Regarding the OP's outrage, she could point out to her friend that there's no guarantees the HSE will reintroduce the scheme, and if they do, there's also no guarantees she'll be accepted for it, so her best-laid plans mightn't work.

Getting back to the HSE issue and unlike other areas of the public/civil service - all this career break thing is currently suspended there. HSE staff can apply for it and the early retirement scheme - but there's no indication if or when they'll be offered it.

I read that the unions dug in their heels about members being asked to take on the responsibilities of colleagues who were out on the scheme. I read also that Prof. Drumm was worried that he'd lose experienced staff to the schemes and that this would have a negative impact - I believe that a career break etc., is not on offer to certain staff and for the rest, it can be refused if that person is thought to be indispensable!

Regarding the OP's outrage, she could point out to her friend that there's no guarantees the HSE will reintroduce the scheme, and if they do, there's also no guarantees she'll be accepted for it, so her best-laid plans mightn't work.

There is a list of of grades its not applicable to to but they have the option of applying for the normal career break.

A lot of people who have applied for the incentive break not getting approval because their manager isn't guaranteed a back fill, not so much that they are indispensable. Don't think anyone is indispensable.

So am I right in thinking that the OP's friend has no guarantee that she will get this career break?

So am I right in thinking that the OP's friend has no guarantee that she will get this career break?

Thats correct. The application has to be approved by the Principal Officer first and then by the Departments Personnel Officer.

I know of a few cases where applications have been refused by the Principal Officer due to staffing constraints and no replacement cover provided but Personnel could still approve them.

Back