Spanish Bank's ATM Charges

I am trying to put together a list of Spanish Bank's ATM charges they must be the only country in the EU that charges for euro withdrawals using a euro debit card I thought they were supposed to be free?

Anyway would be great if anyone has been in the the last 6 months if they could say which bank they used and how much were they charged or not?
I will start
Banco Sabedell (sol bank) Euro 1.80
Santander 1.80, but button allowing you to decline at end of transaction. Which I did. Something about 'how the operator of this machine will impose a charge'
Abanka charged me 80 cent with no choice at the end so I'm upset about that. The notification was only in Spanish although I had clicked English.
Interbank I think it was called, free.
Caixa free
BBVA had a charge, so I declined, not sure now how much. Maybe 1.85 or .85.

Just back from Lanzarote, my experience with ATMs for what it's worth.

Sabadell were charging 1.80
Banca March were charging 1.75 \1.80 (the cheaper one was in a shopping centre).
Euronet's fee was 2.95
BBVA charged 1.87

Didn't check Santander.

All were checked with my Revolut card.

When I checked my bank statement there was no charge for Abanka when I checked. Normal bank card.

What is Revoult?

Bronte have a look at https://www.revolut.com essentially it's a mobile bank account that you top up through your Visa normal bank account via an app. You can use it abroad without incurring bank charges and at a much better rate. Note that is transactions in shops etc note ATM withdrawals you get charged.

I use it as well to make Bank transfers to UK to family / friends for low amounts .

Visa, as in credit card.

Anyway I just used my normal bank card, the one the money comes out directly from your back account. So the three banks in Spain had zero costs for us. I use the same cards in Ireland in any bank and no charge for withdrawals.

Bronte have a look at https://www.revolut.com essentially it's a mobile bank account that you top up through your Visa normal bank account via an app. You can use it abroad without incurring bank charges and at a much better rate. Note that is transactions in shops etc note ATM withdrawals you get charged.

I use it as well to make Bank transfers to UK to family / friends for low amounts .

Mugsy, I've used the Revolut card for 3 years now, this is the first time I've been charged anything, either for ATM withdrawals or purchases. I'm aware of the limit on ATM withdrawals per month, but haven't exceeded it. I used the card for purchases in Lanzarote this week too, there were no additional charges.

Bronte, Revolut is a multi-currency virtual account with a Mastercard debit card linked to it. As Mugsy said, it's topped up via your regular bank account/bank card, and offers great exchange rates where needed (great for purchasing in Sterling).

Was in Spain in October and took out €200 and there was a charge of €2.95 -reference was Bajondillo.

I'm in Spain for the winter and have also noticed charges for ATM withdrawals. The lowest charge I've incurred when withdrawing €250 is €1.50 at the Telebanco ATM with Grupo Santander. When I came over in November I was charged €2.95 at a different ATM so you really need to check around to get the best deal.

Just back from Andalusia. First stop Cordoba and Banco Popular tried to charge my Clarity card €5 to withdraw any amount of money. I needed Euros so withdrew large amount to lessen the daylight robbery bank charge. Later went to Granada and used Banco Santander with nothing mentioned re bank charge until the Conversion screen where I asked to be paid in Euros to avoid the DCC [dynamic currency conversion] bank scam. When I hit the Euros button a following screen flashed up saying I would be charged €5 for their service and there was no way to cancel the transaction - it was legitimised robbery. Be very very careful with Santander.

Arrived home to find that my Clarity card had no Bank charges - it did put a dampner on the holiday though!

I am in Spain now. Most banks seem to charge. Santander charge €5. Just used Bankia, and it charged me €1.75 without warning me first. Small local banks seem the best. Certainly Cajasiete made no charge for using my Halifax Clarity credit card.

I'm in Spain for the past month or so. I've noticed many Euronet atms and each will charge you just short of €4.00 per transaction. Caja Mar charges just under €2.00 per transaction. I've tried Bankia too and was not informed of any transaction charge (which doesn't mean it was free as when I inquired inside of the bank the lady didn't know).

I've checked again to day with Bankia. They charge €1.75 per transaction (not free as per my previous post). Santander atm's are still free.

I have a Starling bank card and have never had any charges, but recently in Fuengirola lots of the atm's wanted to charge me for using them., Ranged from €1.80 up to €5. Of course I cancelled the transaction & found a Unicaja cash machine which didn't charge. Going back shortly & will try a couple more & update if they are free. Karen

So I was in southern Spain last week and this seems to be a location area. I just used the ATMs that the locals used. Any ATM on the tourist parts were charging. I suppose in some resorts locals are few and far between and ATMs even less.

This can’t be legal surely. Something not quite right about this. Targeting tourists. Deliberately.

Back