Someone else availing of our car for scrappage

I checked that Brendan and there is nothing in the rules that says you have to keep the car after for a certain period. Thats why it's frustrating that people keep citing the rules without actually addressing what you just lay down.. clearer than I admittedly.

If the spirit of the scrappage scheme is to get old cars off the road then spirit is good.

Interesting proposal, and my suspicion is that it's not actually illegal - however the splitting of the E1,500 shows that the intent is to exploit what appears to be a loophole in the scheme.

Therefore I'd conclude not illegal - but definately against the sprit of the scheme.

pjmn

Just to add. This loophole is only brought in play due the the 18 month stipulation been put on owning the trade in car, with none been put on the new car.

Folks

Calm down

The question can be simplified "If you buy a new car through the scrappage scheme, must you keep it for a minimum period?"

If I am thinking of buying a new car for €20,000 and I don't have a car to scrap and a friend says he will sell me the equivalent car with one owner for one day €750 cheaper? Is that forbidden under the scheme? If so, who is in the wrong? I don't think that I am doing anything wrong buyin a car which is one day old.

Sorry if it was an over reaction Brendan.

Yes this now appears to be the OP question and is as you say an easy one.

Best of luck OP with your new 04/05 car.

Last edited:
Its not worth half that. You think if it were the case I would be proposing this..

You might want to double-check that the warranty on the car would be transferable to the new owner. Not sure if the garage would raise a quizical eyebrow if there was a problem after, say, three months and the second owner turned up.

FWIW I'd say that clever schemes like this usually go wrong. This may be a good way to lose a friend.

SSE

Fair enough, i don't have any real issue with what you propose. Just think you could get burned with new car you don't want if things go wrong.

Back