Someone else availing of our car for scrappage

Z

z101

My wifes car is over 10 years old. We want to change her car but not buy a new one. We read on revenue site that people must own a car for over 18 months to avail of scrappage scheme. If someone who wanted to buy a new car and bought it from my wife after she had bought it new, would there be problem with that. The car could be picked by SECOND owner. We dont have someone who actually wants to do this yet but it would be a win win situation for us and new car buyer. I am aware it would probably mean an extra owner on log book, but this would be easily explainable and worth the saving to the new car buyer. We could take 600 and new buyer 900 or something like that.
Anyone see anything wrong with this idea?? I cant see it been illegal in any way.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is illegal of course, what part of "must be registered in the State in the name of the registered owner of the new car for at least 18 months previous to the date of scrappage" is unclear?

Full qualifying details here - [broken link removed]

What you propose is a scheme to enable a non-qualifying person to benefit from the scrappage deal.

I think you have answered your own question.'' A car must have been registered in the name of the purchaser of the new car for at least 18 months previous to date of scrappage.''

At least read the post correctly folks. We would be effectively buying the car and reselling it immediatly. Car would be chosen before we buy by the person who is buying it from us..thus the 2 owners on the cert.
You telling me it's illegal to sell a car. There is nothing on the revenue website that says we cant sell a car thats a day old. Did you actually read the link you sent me?

Can't see anything in this for the ultimate buyer who will end up buying a secondhand car albeit with very low mileage. I am sure there are demo models available from garages that would offer the same if not better value for money without all the heartache and risks of getting caught in a transaction that is designed defraud the Irish tax payer.

If its not illegal it's not defrauding anyone, so watch your tongue before you make such an accusation eblana.

Ceatharlach, If your wife goes in and buys the car with your/her money and avails of the scrappage scheme and then sells it on then no issue. However if you enter into an agreement with someone in advance to do as you say in your OP i.e. to split the scrappage between you then you are assisting someone who does not qualify to obtain a car under the scheme which is illigal.

Where does it say thats illegal?? what law is it breaking? a carefull answer required please. A link would be helpfull.

In fairness it was a little bit confusingly worded the first time you read it.

As you say the key thing is that you find someone who wants to buy a new car but doesn't have a car older than 10 years themselves to trade in to take advantage of the scrapage scheme. I would imagine that this person would have to be someone that is well known to you and you to them - otherwise you could trade in your old car, get the new and then might decide they don't fancy the car. Or if they are paying for the car to be bought in your name then they need to know you well.

Also you have to find a person that currently doesn't have car at all, cause if it is over 10 years they could do the scrapage themselves, if it is under 10 years they could trade it in against the new car.

Obviously once you buy the 2010 car it is up to you when you sell it and how much you get for it.

EDIT - Post crossed with last three - so I was answering way back up the thread

I did and AFAIK I have no reading or comprehension difficulties. I found your post unclear as to your exact plans.
Your original post doesn't say that.
+1
Hardly helps with responses if you get defensive when people seek clarification

Last edited:
As we are looking for a 04 05 model maybe we could be that trade in for them. Many people sell their cars private sooner than getting a poor price on a trade in. Thanks for replying to the actual question though.

Made sense to me. But I edited it for anyone who didn't get it.

. Did you actually read the link you sent me?

Did you? It seems to answer the point repeatedly -->

My wife has an old car. I want to buy a new one, give her my old car and scrap hers. Am I eligible?

No. The car that is being scrapped must have been registered to the person who is going to register the new car. In your case, your wife may scrap her old car and register the new one but you cannot register a new car and avail of the relief using her old car.

My father gave me his old car a couple of years ago and although I have been driving it around, have paid the Road Tax and to all intents and purposes I am the legal owner of the car, I never got around to transferring ownership into my name. Am I eligible for the scrappage scheme?

No. To be eligible for the scheme, the scrapped car must have been registered in your name for at least 18 months before the date of registration of the new car.

My neighbour has an old car he doesn’t use any more. He offered to sell it to me so I can scrap it against a new car. Can I do this?

No. The car must be registered in your name for at least 18 months.

Again hard to understand what you suggesting, but no clearly you cannot "be the trade in for them"

You can go for the scheme yourself and then sell the car 30 seconds later though - but you are taking all the risks.

Otherwise it is clearly against the rules

You can go for the scheme yourself and then sell the car 30 seconds later though - put you are taking all the risks.

As I have clarified this already I am not sure why you had to copy and paste all what you CANT do. Seeing as it's irrelevant. Above is the only part of your post that addresses what I am suggesting. thanks for reply.

To be fair I posted it because originally you seemed to me (and I think some other posters) to be suggesting something different. Again in post 11 you suggested that you were going to be the trade in for them so that was another reason for me posting the CANT DO.

I mean if they have a 04/05 car WE could buy it instead of the garage taking it. WE could be the trade in for them instead of the garage..

That is what I understood you were suggesting i.e. that you would effectively trade your car in for them and split the scrappage. The whole scheme seems a bit complicated to be worth while. As I said in previous post most garages will give fairly good discounts on their showroom cars which would put buyer 2 in the same situation without the bother of changing ownership etc.

Folks

Calm down

Ceatharlach's proposal is certainly against the spirit of the scrappage scheme. His original and revised descriptions are confusing.

But has he found a legal loophole to exploit?

If I understand him correctly, he is proposing.

1) His wife trades in her car which is over 10 years old to buy a new car.
She qualified for the scheme - no trouble with that.

2) She sells on the car immediately after she buys it.
I don't see that this is forbidden in the scheme.

The question can be simplified "If you buy a new car through the scrappage scheme, must you keep it for a minimum period?"

If I am thinking of buying a new car for €20,000 and I don't have a car to scrap and a friend says he will sell me the equivalent car with one owner for one day €750 cheaper? Is that forbidden under the scheme? If so, who is in the wrong? I don't think that I am doing anything wrong buyin a car which is one day old.

Add this on top and its a further grand less VRT to pay. I am assuming that for someone to go to all this organising the best possible deal will be got from the deal. But as you were prompt to point out this saving is not made from the garage but on the tax. When is a bit of work not worthwhile to save money for someone? How often do you buy a new car not to put every effort to save money?
The only issue I see is that a garage will give less for the NEW car if it's traded in after about 3 years time due to 2 owners been on logbook.