Some taxing questions...

tax

all tax should be on expenditure and a wealth tax introduced - declared every year
you can either spend (and pay tax) or hoard (and pay tax)

The wealth declaration should include everything down to cars

and make revenue same as the US revenue

Wealth tax?

all tax should be on expenditure and a wealth tax introduced - declared every year
you can either spend (and pay tax) or hoard (and pay tax)

I would half agree with this statement, tax should be on expenditure rather than income
Then everyone pays tax on their lifestyle and how they want to live it

I do not agree with the wealth tax issue and have never heard any valid arguement to back up taxing someone who trys to provide for themself and their family by saving or investing

Stu

paying tax.

Another way to look at it: If I get €100 for a cash job and declare tax on it I must pay 13.5% VAT + Tax on the income part of it, so the govenment gets say €20 from the transaction.

Instead if I go to the pub and blow the €100 on drink then the government gets 21% VAT + Excise duty. I don't know what the excise is exactly but the government would be getting a bigger slice!

Tax Morality

Apologies for my slow response to the moral sides of the original question and further issues raised by Rainyday, believe it or not I've been putting together my tax forms to get them in before Aug 31!. And that's the first point I must make; I pay my taxes. My contention though is that taxation is actually immoral as I've pointed out in earlier posts.
To deal with Rainyday's first statement that taxes are levied by a cooperative community force: no way. If you don't pay your taxes, look at what happens to you: the authorities come down like a ton of bricks. And it's that fear that they rely on for people to pay their taxes - to me that's cooercion. When I left secondary school (and yes those taxpayers then, including the fella that played by the book but who now is scratching his head at how unfairly the system treated him, financed part of my education) and started work, I never entered into any agreement through discussion let alone written that the government is allowed to take a certain percentage of my pay. The employer immediately deducted it from my wage and that was it - I couldn't touch it or hand it over willingly. That's not cooperative.
It's a bit like the storekeeper taking your money before you get into the store without any prior arrangement.
Then, the storekeeper tells you what to buy with your money he's taken off you. This is what the falsity of the provision of public services is all about. Bureacrats and politicians have an interest in perpetuating this status quo as it empowers them, their egos and their salaries. However, individual and corporate entrepreneurs could provide all of the public services we assume now that the state must provide.
An immediate example is the education system. We already have private schools and lots of people choose to PAY more and send their kids to them.
We have an emerging private road solution in the form of toll roads. People choose to PAY more and take the M50 toll bridge (it's an inefficient solution at the moment, but it's a start).
To be honest, with a bit of thought almost all of the so-called public services could be provided in the best possible way by allowing free market solutions. The pricing signals of these solutions would dictate those that work, survive and thrive, resulting in the BEST possible provision for the public.
The only areas I would concede you may need some form of central bureacracy is in the provision of national defense (but I'm not 100% convinced of this - look at how the Americans employed a vast range of private contractors in the war in Iraq. Couldn't they do the same to protect their borders? and even possibly improve their intelligence services) and in foreign policy (and once again, foreign policy should keep its nose out of private enterpreneurial solutions).
In our "modern" world, we sometimes find ourselves in thrall to the edifice of what's already constructed around us - in that regard we are no more modern than medieval serfs - and we submit to the direct and indirect coercion of systems that are not optimal for our right livelihoods. A choice-derived pricing-signal is morally incontestable, leads to our ultimate prosperity and thwarts political hypocrisy.

Re: Tax Morality

Hi Taxdoubter - Nice theories, but lets get down to specifics. If you remove the tax system, you remove all public schools & public hospitals.

So what are you going to do when the unemployed guy with borderline learning difficulties and no income/savings gets hit by your Merc & breaks both his legs. Do we just step over him on the street?

tax

This has turned into one of the weirdest threads I have ever read here. What started out as a question on how to evade tax (and yes I’m with rainyday on that one) has turned into an abstract theoretical discussion about the rights of the state to levy taxes and whether the assumption of a general social contract constricts or even breaches the rights of the individual to free choice.
It all sound very well thought out by taxdoubter but I think you are starting from a false premise.
The state is the vehicle through which we can build a society which can guarantee that we are all treated in an equitable and just way (in general terms). All of our mainstream politicians subscribe to this principle, be they right of left of center, they just disagree upon what the best way to implement it is.
This system has been endorsed by the vast majority of the people of this country in every election since the foundation of the state so if you believe in democracy then you have implicitly accepted the system of state imposed taxes.

The people in this board make me sick, they have never known hard times and sit up there adjudicating on every one else.
Not that you’d be making sweeping generalisations or anything. I hate people who do that!

the fundamental issue is that taxes are levied via coercive force and interferes with an individual's right to pursue their own prosperity
The threat of coercive force interferes with the right of the individual to rob his neighbours car or kill him and take his house, thereby interfering with his right to persue his own prosperity. Do you think this threat of coercive force is wrong as well? ‘cause it would be no more damaging to society than what you are proposing.

Haughey was simply reflecting the ethos of the country at the time. As we've seen, many small traders were evading taxes via bogus non-resident accounts and many tradespersons, teachers etc were failing to declare their nixers. Many PAYE workers were on special 'allowances' as a tax dodge. Haughey had the neck to do it on a larger scale.
Rainyday-I never thought you would take such a balanced view of the man, I take back all the nasty high moral ground things I’ve said about you (OK I take them back for this thread only; I’m just not big enough to do any more:D ).

Back