Solicitor holding inheritance

Sj7791

I recently inherited from my parents who passed away 2020 & 2022. The same solicitor looked after probate, and my subsequent divorce. Probate was granted in October of 2023, and my inheritance was held by my solicitor, whilst divorce proceedings were ongoing, standard practice I'm sure.

The divorce was finally settled this July 2024, and my ex husband stated that he had no interest in my inheritance. We agreed that we will be selling a rental property, and the family home, both close to negative equity, clearing the mortgages and both buying our own homes. My inheritance with a small mortgage with enable me to purchase a house for me & our 2 teenage boys.

My question is, my solicitor has been paid her €25k divorce & €13k probate fee, inheritance tax has been paid, but she is still holding onto my inheritance, giving me small amounts, when I tell her I need it to pay bills etc. It's almost 12 months, with my €300k in her account, and despite the divorce being settled, due to be ruled by court in October, she is refusing to transfer it to me. She claims that I can only have it when I prove I am using it to buy a house. When I did need it to put a deposit on a house (which fell through) she would only transfer the minimum deposit directly to the estate agent, and it was refunded up her when the sale fell through (on the sellers side) is this standard practice?

I am very frustrated that I am being treated like a child, despite it being my money. Holding it for nearly 1 year, and she wanted full payment for the divorce, the day after it was settled.

Any advice welcome. Thanks in advance

On top of delays €13k probate fee seems excessive.
Maybe not. Isn't it for two probates? And maybe they were complex?
I recently inherited from my parents who passed away 2020 & 2022. The same solicitor looked after probate
At a glance I thought that the divorce fees were also high but, again, maybe it was a complex/messy/contentious process? And depending on the involvement of a barrister that could also boost the fees.
My question is, my solicitor has been paid her €25k divorce & €13k probate fee

Back