Solicitor forgot to charge small SD money

pint6

Hello there,

I have seen the similar post today but the case is slightly different so I opened a new chapter. We moved into our new house last month after completing all the formalities. 2 days before collecting the keys my solicitor sent us the the invoice detailing the expenses incurred, his fees and o/s balance to be paid back to me. On the day he gave us the key he gave a cheque for the o/s amount and we deposited the cheque into my account, which was later on encashed.

I received a call yesterday from my solicitor asking me to pay extra 900 € towards Stamp duty. Actually the problem was with them calculating SD on 330K which was 330K*3% = 9900. He only asked us to pay 9000, now he is asking us to pay 900 €. Do I have to pay or .....? Please advise.

Regards,

Pint 6

Had the solicitor been upfront on your general stamp duty liability and if the difference could have been a typo or a genuine mistake like that then pay it in full.

It looks like a transcription error in the office and 9900 - 900 is 2.7 % stamp duty instead of 3% which is illogical or they calculated off a 90% mortgage not the total value.

Do get the solicitor to admit in WRITING that they made a mistake before you pay them the difference. I find these phone calls disconcerting :D and you never know when its handy to have a written admission from your solicitor that they made a mistake.

Had the solicitor grossly miscalculated or misinformed you about outlays then its different but in this case it looks like a genuine mistake .

2Pack said:
Do get the solicitor to admit in WRITING that they made a mistake before you pay them the difference. I find these phone calls disconcerting :D and you never know when its handy to have a written admission from your solicitor that they made a mistake.

If you act in an adversarial and/or confrontational manner towards others, don't be surprised when (i) they do similarly towards you; (ii) they display signs of wanting to have as little as possible to do with you.

This is especially pertinent if you act in this manner towards professionals or other service providers whom you engage to act on your behalf.

ubiquitous said:
If you act in an adversarial and/or confrontational manner towards others, don't be surprised when (i) they do similarly towards you; (ii) they display signs of wanting to have as little as possible to do with you.

This is especially pertinent if you act in this manner towards professionals or other service providers whom you engage to act on your behalf.

LOL :D ROFLMAO :D :D. Must be my day for rubbing you soliciting peoples up wrong, eh! , ubiquitous . Let me clarify a tad .

All my hired underlings do what I tell them Ubiquitous, its called a BUSINESS relationship. If the chargeout rate is €100 an hour not €10 an hour I am proportionally (but not algorithmically) more concerned about value for money .....but that only because I can count mate :D

My solicitor is excellent value for money, she is very clever and we don't mess around because we understand each other very well . She is not cheap so I try not to use her too much and take care of things myself. I trust you empathise with my position.

Pint6. Get the admission of the mistake from your solicitor in writing and pay them the €900 because I think they made a genuine mistake.

Ubiquitous thinks I am being "adversarial" because I suggested you get the admission in writing and keep it on file, just in case you solicitor ever feels they should tell you that they do not DO mistakes . If you have an issue with that advice to pint6 Ubiquitous then so tell me what it is rather than attack ME and not the advice.

2Pack said:
If you have an issue with that advice to pint6 Ubiquitous then so tell me what it is rather than attack ME and not the advice.

Where did I attack you?

Back