Solicitor Fees

ailm

My family solicitor has quoted me 0.7% of my propertys purchase price for checking deeds etc and looking after my mortgage. Is this good or does anyone know of any good solicitors that charge a flat fee?

What is the purchase price? Have you checked the other many existing threads about solicitor conveyancing fees for comparison purposes? Have you tried haggling? If you are happy with your family solicitor and trust them to do a thorough/reliable job then that is an important factor. On the other hand it seems to me that competition means that many solicitors will no longer quote their charges as a percentage of the purchase price but will quote a flat/fixed conveyancing fee of up to c. €1K. Note that in addition to the solicitor's professional conveyancing fee you will also be paying outlays and VAT. See this thread for more info. Ask the solicitor for a written (section "whatever it's called") estimate of the full charges that are expected to apply.

The purchase price is 350,000 so i'm looking at paying €2450 plus VAT. Thanks i'll check out the threads.

i'm looking at paying €2450 plus VAT
Plus outlays. That sounds excessive. I would be looking for something in the region of 1k plus outlays + vat but dont forget (as CM pointed out) that you also factor in reliability/recomendation. That's worth paying a bit extra for in keeping stress levels normal.

sorry this is probably a stupid question but what do you mean by outlays?

Just finished dealing with [broken link removed]. We got a local solicitor through them who has dealt with everything with the minimum amount of fuss etc. They say you must be a member of the credit union but bar being asked once on the phone if I was, it has never been checked again.

They charged a flat rate of €999 plus outlays of land reg (€500) etc. the entire bill was €2400. Best value we'd found!

I'm paying about 1100 plus outlays....think your solicitor is just a tad excessive

ailm said:
sorry this is probably a stupid question but what do you mean by outlays?
Did you read the thread that I linked to? Outlays are the charges in addition to the solicitor's conveyancing fee and VAT. They can often represent about half of the total bill. For example a professional fee of c. €1K plus outlays of c. €1K plus VAT would not be unusual.

Outlays - Other bills that the solicitor had to pay on your behalf.
E.g Land registry, Gov. stamp duty on loans above 254k I think, Searches, Postage etc.
If you click on Clubmans original link in his first answer above and read down to post 13 you'll find an example of the extra charges (lumped together as outlays) above legal fees involved in buying a property.

Elacto ,

Just got a rpice of 1k solicitors plus vat plus outlays for purchase of a site. I understand outlays like land registry, various checks etc but Gov. stamp duty on loans above 254k, whats this?

MY stamp duty liable for the purchase of the site will be due when the deal goes through. Is this paid to the revenue through my solicitor???

Newbie! said:
They say you must be a member of the credit union but bar being asked once on the phone if I was, it has never been checked again.

Any chance they checked with your Credit Union? Or are you not a member of any Credit Union?

munsterman25 said:
Elacto ,

Just got a rpice of 1k solicitors plus vat plus outlays for purchase of a site. I understand outlays like land registry, various checks etc but Gov. stamp duty on loans above 254k, whats this?

MY stamp duty liable for the purchase of the site will be due when the deal goes through. Is this paid to the revenue through my solicitor???
See [broken link removed]:
Where the amount of the mortgage exceeds €254,000 stamp duty is
chargeable at the rate of 0.1% rounded down to the nearest euro. The
maximum duty chargeable is €630.

CCOVICH said:
Any chance they checked with your Credit Union? Or are you not a member of any Credit Union?
VHI used to (may still do) give group discounts to members of certain organisations such as the CU and never checked to verify claims of membership. Telling fibs did not jeopardise the policy either.

CCOVICH said:

Mm...maybe but they never asked about a branch or anything and whilst they would have gotten my date of birth from some legal documents, the address on my credit union account is a country address (different to the home address they have for me) so I'm sure how they could confirm that it was definitely me?

I'm sure you're probably right (as ClubMan alluded to above). Just wanted to check.

I'm currently using Gahan, Richie & Co on Baggot St and they are charging me a total of €1450 including all outlays and their fee (I think their fee was €800) they seem to be great as we are already signing our closing contracts within a month and a half and the main delay in this was that the house wasn't finished yet!

Back