Solar Panels Quote 3 bed semi (Blue Solar)

dodo

I got below quote which is cheapest and reviews look good for this company,
Is there anything missing that I should be aware off ( I with Energia )
Will use water for pump shower,access units hopefully will be used on appliances daily.
I decide not to get battery at this time.

3.915kW Solar system
LONGi Solar Hi-MO 6 Scientists LR5-54HTH-435M (435W) Qty 9
Solis S5-EH1P3.6K-L (4kW) Qty 1
SolidRail Mounting System
BER
System Design and Configuration Balance of System
ESB Networks NC6 Form Submission SEAI Grant Application Processing
Remote System Monitoring Gold Package
Installation and Labour
Total €7,450 Grant €2050 Net amount €5,400

The last three things sound technical and difficult but any company should do this for you.

As Scoobydoobydoo says use that site.

Also use the Facebook irish solar owners group for info - very informative group on there

Request a quote with battery. I started off with a quote that included one but when I asked for a price without the battery, it was only €1250 cheaper. When I asked to add a second battery if it was only 1250, turns out it would cost an extra 2200 - apparently due to wholesaler bundle discount being passed on to me for the first battery.

While I strongly suspect BS and a little price-gouging on the second battery (although overall quote was very competitive), it ultimately means that including a battery in the initial install was as cheap as it would ever get for me. The battery retails at around 1400.

A battery offers an arbitrage opportunity at today's prices. With Energia, I'm paying about 18c overnight to charge the battery and exporting PV at 24c a unit. I reckon the payback at those prices (which I do expect to fall to be fair) to be around 4 years on a product with a 10-year guarantee (and could well keep operating at ~80% capacity beyond that!).

Depending on usage, you could even go for an 8c EV overnight tariff although the daytime rates tend to be higher when you do, so you need to ensure you can reduce your daytime grid draw significantly - maybe with even more battery storage!

There is a huge amount of gouging in this area. Get 6+ quotes. Mine was 8.2K for 8KW. Hard to get that now, but should be maybe 10% more not 100% more

Where are you getting your reviews, for the party that quoted the above prices ?

In my experience, there's only one place to get a lot of relevant independent reviews, from other Irish buyers, and that's the Facebook group mentioned above. I used it myself, when learning about solar power, what I needed, who to buy from etc. It's a super resource, and completely free for anyone to use.

Get multiple quotes and also ideally a site visit before installation day. Get in writing what happens if they can only install X - 1 or if they could install X + 1.

Also the NC6 get them to send that off as soon as you have paid deposit.

Another thing to consider is companies that you have the grant paid directly. The reason I say this is that if there is a SEAI random audit inspection it's not you waiting for that cashback and also ensures that the solar company will have to do a good install that meets requirements.

We just had my 2 month electricity bill for June and July. Gone from 150 last year to them owing me 97 euros. We have battery and charge it overnight and then use solar /battery during the day. We haven't changed behaviour so could prob save a few more euro if we did

Where are you getting your reviews, for the party that quoted the above prices ?

In my experience, there's only one place to get a lot of relevant independent reviews, from other Irish buyers, and that's the Facebook group mentioned above. I used it myself, when learning about solar power, what I needed, who to buy from etc. It's a super resource, and completely free for anyone to use.
there is great solar panel group on Facebook,

Request a quote with battery. I started off with a quote that included one but when I asked for a price without the battery, it was only €1250 cheaper. When I asked to add a second battery if it was only 1250, turns out it would cost an extra 2200 - apparently due to wholesaler bundle discount being passed on to me for the first battery.

While I strongly suspect BS and a little price-gouging on the second battery (although overall quote was very competitive), it ultimately means that including a battery in the initial install was as cheap as it would ever get for me. The battery retails at around 1400.

A battery offers an arbitrage opportunity at today's prices. With Energia, I'm paying about 18c overnight to charge the battery and exporting PV at 24c a unit. I reckon the payback at those prices (which I do expect to fall to be fair) to be around 4 years on a product with a 10-year guarantee (and could well keep operating at ~80% capacity beyond that!).

Depending on usage, you could even go for an 8c EV overnight tariff although the daytime rates tend to be higher when you do, so you need to ensure you can reduce your daytime grid draw significantly - maybe with even more battery storage!
what size battery did you spec?

Have just paid deposit on 7.8kwp system with hybrid inverter for 8300. Not eligible for grant. I'm using 5100kwh approx a year, I'm wondering is it worth it now. Have deal with flogas so my bills from may to start of October are 75euro a month approx. Its when heatvpump comes on in October my bills go up. Probably looking at 400euro for December and January as I have heatvpump dialled in pretty well now. Should I hold off as I'm not getting grant anyway.

It depends.....

So we have a 5.6 kwp system with a 5kw battery. June + July ended up with a bill of -98 euros compared to normally 150 euros so 250 swing.

Today a cloudy morning and then a little bit of sun today the solar power generated has just about covered usage for 1 load of washing, working from home and dinner etc. Be interesting how the winter months work out bill wise.

We are using energia smart drive rate of 8c for 2-5 and then it's 33c (I think) all other times. Sell to the grid for 24c.

We run the dishwasher and washing at night rate as well but haven't really changed behaviour that much. We have gas heating and a insert fire too.

Payback period max 5 years I think spent 8k after grant for system got an Eddi but wouldn't actually bother if I was doing it again.

Have just paid deposit on 7.8kwp system with hybrid inverter for 8300. Not eligible for grant. I'm using 5100kwh approx a year, I'm wondering is it worth it now. Have deal with flogas so my bills from may to start of October are 75euro a month approx. Its when heatvpump comes on in October my bills go up. Probably looking at 400euro for December and January as I have heatvpump dialled in pretty well now. Should I hold off as I'm not getting grant anyway.
Imo battery is more important as you get into winter as you can charge it up cheaply at night. I don't think I'd put in solar+hybrid inverter without at least a 5kWh battery.

I don't have a heat pump but would have had similar annual usage pre-EV ownership. I've calculated a payback period of 6.5 years on my recent slightly larger install with 5kWh battery, against Energia day/night/peak smart plan (not a fan of the high day rate on EV plans, need a bigger battery first). System life is 25+ years though, so at least 15 years of net-free electricity even allowing for some maintenance cost. No brainer tbh.

Back