Social Welfare Cohabiting Rules

Hi All,

I never seen the updates here as I never got an email notification. Thanks all for contributions.

OP needs also to be conscious of property rights as regards the house he is purchasing.

I would have thought that the house deeds and mortgage in my name would mean I am the property owner. I was also thinking that I should charge a very nominal amount of rent to her until such a time that marriage is on the cards. So if there was any disputes etc it would be covered under a simply tenancy agreement.

Would that suffice?

Still, it might make sense to put one of your parents' bills in your name, in case there is any future dispute and you need evidence of actually living with them..

I already pay for the broadband and sky as I really wanted these and they didn't :p. Also I transfer rent to their account on my pay days.

An assumption that has led to many a court case. And good luck with your nominal rent ruse.

I'll have to get proper legal advice from a solicitor if and when the time arises that I have my own place and look at moving her in.

Back