Slugs

Vanilla

We appear to be under attack from slugs. Every morning when I leave the house, I have to tread very carefully to avoid stomping on them. There are literally hundreds of them on the footpath. Does any one have an idea of why there are so many, and what to do about them- something relatively environmentally friendly that is. BTW, do birds not eat slugs?

Hi Vanilla,

Would you find anything useful here [broken link removed]

P.S. It won't hold the info. so just type 'slugs' into search option

Vanilla said:
We appear to be under attack from slugs. Every morning when I leave the house, I have to tread very carefully to avoid stomping on them. There are literally hundreds of them on the footpath. Does any one have an idea of why there are so many, and what to do about them- something relatively environmentally friendly that is. BTW, do birds not eat slugs?

Hi Vanilla,

If you an area that you can dig up (sq. foot will do) dig a hole insert a jam jar and almost fill with beer (out of date stuff will do) place a few stones around the jar and lay a piece of tin/board over the jar (this should be raised from the top of the jar but prevent rain diluting the beer, you want the slugs to creep into the beer) and another stone on top to stop it being blown away. After a few days empty the jar down an outside drain and repeat the process for as long as is required.

Hi up to this year, we were slug capital of Ireland. We tried traps, beer, hand squashing, bait, nothing worked. A few months ago, we did a complete clearance of all ivy, leafy plants, debris,etc. - anywhere they could hide. To date we have excellent results. Snails are now visable and easy to catch and squash. Birds here don't seem at all interested sadly. Give them no hiding place, no safe shelter and terminate them!

Ducks love slugs . Thrushes prefer snails .
For the ducks you have to go organic . To attract thrushes you just lay out some larger stones that they use as an anvil to break the shells.

Back