slatterys travel company

sue_flaherty

Hi

Just found out today that this company is closing down as of yesterday. i have a holiday (was a tour with guides) booked with them going to cuba on the 4th October. Checked with them and at the moment they don't know whether this will go ahead or whether I will get a refund with them. Wonder whether anyone else had booked with them and whether they had been told.

Thanks - was aware of that. Phoned both them and the aviation authority yesterday and at the moment they cannot tell me whether the trip I have booked will go ahead (going in little over 2 weeks time) - so will just have to wait and see.

How did you get on?
I am in a serious situation over this now. Slatterys had paid the airline but not the hotel.
We now have been given 3 choices (endorsed by the commission for aviation regulation):
- Take a partial refund for the hotel portion and take the hit on almost half the total price.
- Take inferior accommodation in an area unsuitable to people traveling with a small child
- Pay extra to get the original package that we already paid for.
Either way we lose! Where does the bonding come in?

I am a travel agent -30 years in Dublin.

I am surprised at the way the Commission for Aviation Regulations have dealt with the Slattery debacle.

I am not a lawyer but my repeated reading over many years of the relevant legislation makes me believe that you are fully entitled to a refund. Without quibble.
You are not entitled to an alternative holiday. The legislation was put in place to protect the public against monetary loss when dealing with licensed travel companies .(This was done at a time 1982 when nearly all travel was booked through agents. Now its only 20% -the rest is on the internet ,yet we still have to have licences and bonds)

And for 27 years the bonding scheme has worked well- better and quicker here than in most EU countries.

Although it can take several weeks - as with any claim from any government department - at least you knew it was being refunded. Well, until now. With the Slattery case the Commission took an unprecedented action which has caused confusion and anxiety......

As per the Commission's website, aviationreg.ie (and I summarise here...)
" all claims are being dealt with by Club Travel who have taken over the bookings of Slattery Travel".

Now, from what i have learned this does not mean that the booking will be done exactly as you had booked with Slattery -it means that Club Travel will "try their best" to provide the travel arrangements booked with Slattery.

I contacted the Commission and asked them what happens if the client is not satisfied with the " best alternative" offer -or was told by Club Travel that he/she had to pay more to get exactly what was booked with Slattery.
In any event, I added, why is a government department that was set up to handle claims from customers now handing over the task to private company, albeit a large capable one ?

The response was "Look we're up to our necks in travel company failures. we don't have the staff to deal with Slatterys collapse. Letting a private travel company take over our role is a way of getting as many customers as possible what they booked. "

When I pressed them about what about those clients who are not satisfied with an alternative offer (as is the case with you) the reply was typical of public servants who do not like being put on the spot -"you have to put that question in writing ".

I repeat - it is the law that you get a full refund. It is not the law that you are offered exactly the same holiday.
You must decide whether you take the inferior accommodation, pay more for what you wanted -or refuse both and insist on the money. It is absolute nonsense that if you dont go on that holiday "you take a hit " on the ticket price..

I am guessing that whoever told about losing money if you don't go ahead was someone in Club Travel , rather than someone in the Commission.
After all, it is Club's interest that you proceed with the booking - even though you never had a contract with them in the first place !

How the Commission is effectively forcing people to enter into a contract with Club Travel is beyond me. Club Travel has not taken over Slattery Travel -they have, according to the website of the Commission, just "taken over the booking" -which is a meaningless phrase with no validity in law. (I've checked with two seperate lawyers).

By the way, I'm just in the process of applying for my annual licence from the Commission -guess how well my comments will go down with them !! (I am the only Dublin travel agent called Nick).

all worked out fine for me - holiday was booked for this coming Sunday and is still going ahead. Sorry to hear about the problems that others had

How the Commission is effectively forcing people to enter into a contract with Club Travel is beyond me. Club Travel has not taken over Slattery Travel -they have, according to the website of the Commission, just "taken over the booking" -which is a meaningless phrase with no validity in law. (I've checked with two seperate lawyers).

By the way, I'm just in the process of applying for my annual licence from the Commission -guess how well my comments will go down with them !! (I am the only Dublin travel agent called Nick).

I was a bit confused by this too, I mean what's the whole point of Slattery's bond if they do this? Sounds like ComAvReg taking the easy way out, after all they are swamped the poor things :rolleyes:

Any chance of changing your name by deed poll before the licence renewal Nick ;)

If the licensing scheme that supposedly gives clients full and easy financial protection when they book with us is sullied then that takes away one of the last reasons to use a travel agent.

But there's something worse for travel agents-and apologies for kidnapping this thread - which is the new VAT regime applicable from 1 January.

As you know,Graham this means that we have to add VAT on to our commission/profit. Most agents act also as prinicipals nowadays -booking through tour operators is declining.

This means if we make 50 euros on putting together a package we have to charge the client another 11 euros VAT. Even if we charge only a tenner for a quick airline booking we have to add another 2 euros VAT. (Crazily only for travel within EU!)

It's not just charging clients extra money (which will drive them to the internet even more quickly where they can book direct with no VAT) -It's the extra paperwork.

Apologies again for rant off the subject of Slattery/bonding.
If Chief Seamus wants any more advice post again.
I'd love to know how he got on.

P.S. Any jobs going for future ex-travel agent ?

VAT stands for "value added tax". You are adding value by building a holiday package - and that extra value is subject to tax. How is that unfair? And if we used VAT's other name, GST, which stands for "goods and services tax", again, you are providing a service so there should be tax on that. Shops pay VAT/GST on all sales. Why should travel agents not?

Yeah,fine. But..

1) If the purpose of VAT,as with any tax, is to increase revenue for the state then this will have the opposite effect.

This tax will reduce revenue because many travel agents will close -so there'll be no VAT revenue for govnt, no corporation tax for govnt, no PAYE/PRSI revenue for govnt .Oh, and more unemployment costs for govnt.

2) Even more weird is this :- the VAT is only charged on fees/profit for travel services to destinations within the EU. vat AT 21.5%.
But if I arrange a service to outside the EU the VAT is zero.
So this new VAT rule is effectively penalising /discouraging travellers to Greece but not Turkey, Spain but not Morocco. etc etc
Consequently, many agents are gearing up their programmes to outside Europe.

The EU is dear enough anyway -This VAT rule will only add to the cost of travel/ holidays within the EU.
Again, this is a tax that ultimately means less revenue for the govnt.

3) Incidentally, Shops charge VAT as you rightly state. But they get back the VAT they paid when they obtained the product from the factory/ wholesaler. We won't.
However, this isn't something that bothers me. However its applied this VAT ruling will mean a loss of revenue to the govnt and the closure of businesses that will ultimately cost everyone more.

4) The weirdest thing of all is I can set up an internet site in Bananaland selling packages to irish people to travel anywhere -they can pay by plastic- and there'll be no VAT hassle.

Good points... let me go through them:
1) If the purpose of VAT,as with any tax, is to increase revenue for the state then this will have the opposite effect.
Like any government, the Irish one is completely ignorant of this fact. New taxes are always introduced as if the taxable amount was completely unaffected by them. Of course a new charge will mean the base (travel agent sales in this case) will go down. Still, the government *may* make some money if the decrease is not too large. This is very difficult to predict though.
2) Even more weird is this :- the VAT is only charged on fees/profit for travel services to destinations within the EU. vat AT 21.5%.
The logic on this one is beyond me. It is kind of like the leave-the-country tax that is lower if you are fleeing via the western UK (€2) as opposed to anywhere else in Europe (€10). But hey, does this not actually give lazy travel agents (as you said yourself before, there are plenty of those) a kick, forcing them to finally stop just clicking on websites and booking Aer Lingus flights for people, instead concentrating on the still lucrative and much more difficult true overseas arrangements?
3) Incidentally, Shops charge VAT as you rightly state. But they get back the VAT they paid when they obtained the product from the factory/ wholesaler. We won't.
It may be organized differently but in the end, the result is the same: You do not pay VAT on the product you are selling (flight, hotel, car rental, ...). So it is as if you paid VAT on all that you charged your client and then got it back for the part that you just re-sold. I fail to see how this is any different from what shops do.
However its applied this VAT ruling will mean a loss of revenue to the govnt and the closure of businesses that will ultimately cost everyone more.
Cannot argue with this one. New taxes always have such effects. But with all governments starting to feel the burdens of their immense bank bail-out packages and stimulus programs, expect many more "creative" taxes in the near future.
4) The weirdest thing of all is I can set up an internet site in Bananaland selling packages to irish people to travel anywhere -they can pay by plastic- and there'll be no VAT hassle.
Such is the Internets. It opens up many new opportunities. High street travel agents die out, new Internet ones open up. The wheel of time keeps turning...

Well, yes, generally agree with your comments.

Point 3 re comparing with shops was incidental of little importance but I only wish that every shop/trader had to have a bond in place ,apply for licences each year, submit audited accounts annually (i.e. no self-assessment allowed for travel agents).

Yes, high-streets agents die out because of new technology like the internet, plus especially at present the recession.
I just wish the govnt wasn't killing off the survivors during a period when alternative work was so difficult to find (not for me -I'm an old fellow, but for the hundreds of young travel staff being laid off. 2.000 so far this year and i reckon another 2.000 to follow in the next few months).

Getting back to the original thread -Slatterys.

We have today talked to someone in the Commission who now confirm that if anyone does not get exactly what they originally booked for are entitled to get a refund direct from the Commission.

the new VAT regime applicable from 1 January

Old Nick, you make this sound as though it only has to be considered after 01/01/10, but is it not applicable right now, to moneys received for travel after 01/01/10?

If that's the case then I'm fxxxxd. And so is every travel agent, none of whom have charged VAT for travel after the Ist Jan.

To be honest I'm unsure of the VAT situation for someone who has paid a deposit now for travel next Easter -and will pay the balance ,say, mid-January.

Revenue only issued their 30 page guidelines this week after months of delay/deliberations. Most of us are still trying to understand the rules (a job for Graham 07?)....

..In the meantime I notice that undertakers are still VAT exempt. It seems that VAT is only applied to living people who travel, not dead ones. The VAT situation regarding booking travel for the undead (zombies) is still unclear.

I was booked with Slatterys for travel this weekend. Everything's going ahead with Club Travel now with the exception of ONE CRUCIAL Aspect - transfers from the airport to my accommodation! Apparently I have to arrange this myself (as Slatterys seem to have booked it but not paid for it and Club say the transfer operators won't confirm with them, despite it being part of the original booking.) They did however tell me to keep any receipts (for transfers) for refund by the comission. A stressful ridiculous situation.

A stressful ridiculous situation.

I would say you are actually quite lucky. Almost all of your booking is going ahead with just one small aspect that - unfortunately - you have sort out yourself. A travel agent going belly-up is not an everyday situation and when it happens, all sorts of problems result. In your case, the problems are very minor. Enjoy your holiday and if you need something to make you feel better, think about how well off you are compared to those poor souls whose trips ended up getting canceled.

Any nostalgia anyone.I used to take the slatterys coach to london 20 years ago when aer lingus was charging 200 + punts for the privledge...that must be about 2000e in todays money.Slaterrys was 40£ return and it was a long bus boat bus journey.Usually when one was half asleep in the bus ,you had to get out in the cold ,get your luggage and hang outside in the cold to get the boat and the same leaving the boat to get back on the bus.Afterfinally getting back to sleep after the winding roads of wales,the bus stopped and woken again at a service stop...the last bit on the motorway was much better.And believe me we were very thankful to slatterys for the sevice.People complain about ryanair and I do too but when I think of the slattery trips ....well it puts things into perspective and thank god for ryanair.
But why in gods name did aer lingus charge so much at the time...they must have made a fortune.

Christmas 1987 from London and returning after New year £10 sterling return. Ryanair were already getting into the market and were about £100 return. Virgin also did a propeller job for £80.
But why in gods name did aer lingus charge so much at the time...they must have made a fortune. 01-10-2009 11:47 PM
Because they could. They also had loads of workers and pensioners on the payroll - something similar to the CS today as they were after all a state owned company.

Hi DoshDaisy I am sorry to hear about your holiday but there a transfer only companies out there if wish to book it before you travel send me a private mail and I can give you the details.

As a travel agent i'm really nostalgic about the old days of travel..
high fares, no internet, no large choice of flights -nealry every piece of travel booked through travcel agents.. Ah, those were the days !!!

But I'm a realist . Those days are over. I accept the new reality.
But, evidently, from today's news the staff of Aer Lingus don't.

it beggars belief that an airline that is losing millions, that faces such stiff competition from the likes of Ryanair and others, that has such high costs compared to others - that basically is on the verge of collapse - has employees that state today they "won't tolerate further reductions in our salaries/conditions/pensions etc "

(and the moaners include pilots who earn 200.000 euros per year for less hours than any other airlines pilots.)

..and the solution of the trade unions ? - industrial action !
Yeah,that'll make Aer Lingus profitable and save the jobs.....

If the staff want to retain their jobs on present high manninglevels and salaries is to go back to the 1980's and return to rip-off fares and no competition....

..um, I rather like that idea...

Back