Sky box (not sky+) goes into standby mode

Ceist Beag

Recently I've noticed our Sky Box (Digital) goes into standby mode itself, usually during the night. Has anyone else noticed this or know why this might be happening? Doesn't bother me, probably even a good thing to save energy but just puzzled why it's suddenly started doing this!

Sky+ box does this. Recently (as far as I can see) Sky broadcast a software update so that this happens on non-Sky+ boxes too. Or maybe the option was always there and they just changed the default value of the option. Anyway, like the OP, I noticed it's different compared to a few weeks back. Go into the System Setup menu, select the Auto-Standby option and set it to enabled or disabled as you prefer. (You may have decided -- like I did -- that it's actually a handy option to have on ... especially for someone who falls asleep in front of the telly regularly).

Thanks folks. Sounds like it was enabled via a Sky broadcast so ... I was starting to think that my 3 year old was getting good at handling the remote! ;) I didn't even know this setting existed but going to leave it on Auto Standby from now on.

Mine started doing this a couple of weeks ago too. Strange thing is my box has never been connected to a phone line, didn't think they could send software updates via satellite?

there is actually a guy walking around from SEI at night with a sky remote switching off all sky boxes as he walks past your house....

I've seen him peeking in my curtains to see if we're in bed and if he's in line for the infra red dot...

@brian 76, they send ALL software updates via satellite. The latest is an upgrade to the EPG.

noah

LOL at previous posts -- sounds like Sky has the modern day equivalent of the Glimmer Man who used to come around and make sure your gas was off during WWII (or should I say "The Emergency") rationing.

Hi
Same for me. I'm using an old Grundig non Sky+ box and it keeps going to standby on its own (just the last few days). Followed the suggestion to turn off auto standby but cannot find it in the set up menu. Any thoughts?

has anyone noticed that when you plug in your Sky Box next day, all the settings you bothered to configure yesterday, such as Audio/Picture/extra channels not in EPG are automagically 'lost'?? i only noticed this since the EPG update. :(

Back