Sit In at the Passport Office

Why is it that custom and practice is accepted as de-facto part of an employee’s T&C’s when it comes to things that are of benefit to the employee (shift allowances, extra pay for bank holidays, top-up maternity pay etc) but custom and practice is not taken into account when it comes to things that employees don’t like (answering phones in hospitals and passport offices, doing yard supervision in schools etc)?

Why does it not cut both ways? If people have answered the phone as part of their job for the last 30 years how can they suddenly decide to stop doing it?

Like your thinking purple..

It seems that the contracts must now be to infinity and beyond with the terms and conditions ie;get up from your chair,walk ten feet,pick up the phone ,talk,answer etc etc.
However you can be absolutely guaranteed that the unions would find a loophole like, The phone isn't a black one, I was at another desk at the time and thats more than ten feet etc...

Well, it just said 'around the area' of the passport office. The Passport Office is located near the Dail and very near Buswell's, popular haunting ground of many of our illustrious TDs.

It seems that the contracts must now be to infinity and beyond with the terms and conditions ie;get up from your chair,walk ten feet,pick up the phone ,talk,answer etc etc.
However you can be absolutely guaranteed that the unions would find a loophole like, The phone isn't a black one, I was at another desk at the time and thats more than ten feet etc...

The only reason you're noticing the work to rule is because normally civil servants don't stick to the letter of their role profiles but regularly take on extra work, help out colleagues, cover for their managers when they're out etc.

The only reason you're noticing the work to rule is because normally civil servants don't stick to the letter of their role profiles but regularly take on extra work, help out colleagues, cover for their managers when they're out etc.

In the private sector that's called "doing your job"!

Yes, and we call it 'doing your job'. And a 'work to rule' means sticking to your contract in order to make a point about the 'job you do' in reality.

Yes, and we call it 'doing your job'. And a 'work to rule' means sticking to your contract in order to make a point about the 'job you do' in reality.

Which is why, the Public/civil service need contracts that mention every movement they may need to do in the course of their job,as I said contracts that mention all they should do that go to infinity and beyond.

Personally I would be quite insulted to think that every aspect of my actions has to be listed for me. But there you go ,we need to learn whats needed and act on it.

In which case there would be absolutely no leeway whatsoever. Do you not realise that, in the civil service, new policies and Government memos etc come on stream all the time requiring staff to immediately change course. If you managed them the way you're proposing it would be disastrous. Using an industrial action to totally change human resource policy would be ludicrous.

If "doing your job" is not the same as "work to rule" then logically working to rule is not doing your job ;)

The point being made by another poster was that he doesn't bother with what's in his contract, he just 'does his job'. I suppose then, you could say that normally civil servants 'do their job' and more.

I was just asking a question.

Which is why, the Public/civil service need contracts that mention every movement they may need to do in the course of their job,as I said contracts that mention all they should do that go to infinity and beyond.

They do. They are called "Role Profile Form" and they have been there for several years as part of PMDS. All the staff are doing is sticking to them.

Off point BUT HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

I cant find my passport.. I recently had a lot of house renovation and yes out of all of our passports I cant find mine and due to travel on the 13th April..

Now do you think I have a chance of getting this and will I send VIA An Post today or queue up?

I have just one question.

If CPSU members are now not doing all the other non work related work items: closing counters for half a day a week, not rushing through requests from Ministers, etc, well why is there a backlog of passport applications?

With all the time freed up surely any backlog would be worked through lickety split. (I'd accept the published 45K figure is nonsense as there's always some "backlog" on a list based system). What are they now doing with their time?

The back-log is due to the work to rule/go slow by staff at the processing centre (according to Blairing Horn on the radio this morning).

I have just one question.

If CPSU members are now not doing all the other non work related work items: closing counters for half a day a week, not rushing through requests from Ministers, etc, well why is there a backlog of passport applications?

With all the time freed up surely any baklog would be worked through lickety split. (I'd accept the published 45K figure is nonsense as there's always some "backlog" on a list based system). What are they now doing with their time?
Plotting the downfall of the country © Daily Mail

They do. They are called "Role Profile Form" and they have been there for several years as part of PMDS. All the staff are doing is sticking to them.
Thanks for clearing that up.

Why in a "role profile form",is answering the phone and dealing with customers not in it?

If not why is it not in it?

I would really like someone to answer that!

Why would anybody book a holiday without having a passport, which a lot of the people queuing have done? Seems a bit crazy to me

Back