Sinn Féin says it will introduce NCT-style inspection system for landlords

I had an inspection recently. I failed because of a small weed growing in the gutter, a wrongly positioned CO2 monitor (new rules on where to position them, the two I had in place complied with the old rules) and I should for some reason have had a charcoal as opposed to a carbon filter in the kitchen extractor fan. All minor stuff, but per the SF NCT proposal the place is unrentable!

A landlord told me that he was told that a combined fridge freezer was not acceptable and that he was to replace it with two separate units.

It's a small apartment so a small combined FF would make most sense.

Just checked that out and it does not seem to be a requirement?

Facilities for cooking preparation, storage of food and laundry including a 4 ring hob, oven and grill, fridge and freezer or fridge freezer and microwave oven must be provided. (This is not applicable to Approved Housing Body tenancies).

A landlord told me that he was told that a combined fridge freezer was not acceptable and that he was to replace it with two separate units.

It's a small apartment so a small combined FF would make most sense.

Just checked that out and it does not seem to be a requirement?

Facilities for cooking preparation, storage of food and laundry including a 4 ring hob, oven and grill, fridge and freezer or fridge freezer and microwave oven must be provided. (This is not applicable to Approved Housing Body tenancies).
Previously only a fridge had to be provided. Now it is a separate fridge and freezer or a fridge freezer. The standard small fridge with a one shelf freezer does not comply with the new requirement. I gather, however, that the problem landlords are facing is that many kitchens just don't have the room for a fridge freezer (or separates) unless you start removing presses and, if the kitchen is very small, this will impact on storage space or counter space and, again, per the guidelines space must be sufficient.

Again per the SF NCT, the lack of a freezer or fridge freezer alone means the property is unrentable. I wonder have SF actually read the Guidelines and the technical specifications which flow from them.

And Pierce Doherty stated on radio in the past week that 25% of Landlords are paying no tax.
Never let a lie get in the way of a fact.
Those will be the landlords making a loss cos the costs are higher than the rent! ;)

And the source for this data?

Pierse Doherty making up his own facts on a radio interview on Newstalk within the last week also spoke about Landlords getting €160 million in the last budget
Like Quote Reply

I killed a young rat with the sweeping brush in my rental house shortly before I moved out. I felt really sorry for the poor little thing as I think I killed it's mother with a trap a few days previously. My Landlord has spent aa fortune trying to get rid of them but it It's a very old house and the rats were living there before I was.

Would the Shinners shoot my Landlord for that?

Much as I despise the Glasgow motormouth, he still deserves to have his forename spelled correctly!

He's called after Pádraig (or possibly Willie) Pearse, and that's how his first name is written.

Last edited:
Previously only a fridge had to be provided. Now it is a separate fridge and freezer or a fridge freezer. The standard small fridge with a one shelf freezer does not comply with the new requirement. I gather, however, that the problem landlords are facing is that many kitchens just don't have the room for a fridge freezer (or separates) unless you start removing presses and, if the kitchen is very small, this will impact on storage space or counter space and, again, per the guidelines space must be sufficient.

Again per the SF NCT, the lack of a freezer or fridge freezer alone means the property is unrentable. I wonder have SF actually read the Guidelines and the technical specifications which flow from them.
This is just utter madness. I lived in a bedsit for a few years in my 20s that only had a small fridge and one shelf freezer and it was absolutely fine. I took my clothes to the launderette once a week too, which was also fine. But I believe now you must have access to a washing machine and dryer. I'm all for improving standards, but sometimes it just goes too far.

This is just utter madness. I lived in a bedsit for a few years in my 20s that only had a small fridge and one shelf freezer and it was absolutely fine. I took my clothes to the launderette once a week too, which was also fine. But I believe now you must have access to a washing machine and dryer. I'm all for improving standards, but sometimes it just goes too far.

You gotta love the Nanny State! It's only a matter of time before landlords will have to provide electric blankets, soap and loo paper for their tenants!

Back