Should there be a Financial Services holiday?

What specific departments/offices and opening times?

The Motor Tax Office is one I can think of.

The desks for all motoring issues is open from 10-12 and 1.30-3.

Considering most peoples lunch is 12-1 or at a strech, 1-2 and factoring in the travel to get there during a busy time of the day, I'm amazed that it's open at all.

I know you can get tax online but there are ties when you need to get stuff done manually and it can be a pain !

On a lighter note (an this always makes me smile when I think of it) I used to work in Revenue many moons ago and a taxpayer rang the office one day and the operator wasn't sure which extension to put them through to so rang a number in that section to find out. The caller was from Claremorris so the operator asked a staff member ( a particularly useless staff member btw) and got the reply "Oh there's no Claire Morris working here" :D

Can you imagine going on holidays only to be surrounded by ones colleagues...quelle horreur! I really can't think of much worse- except maybe being surrounded by accountants or people from financial services!:eek:

.....And not being able to go on holidays with your husband, because he's a different profession ?

It's a lovely idea in a comedy way, could be a good film....but couldn't work in reality.

I'm refining my ideas before bringing them to Bertie with my Christmas dig-out envelope...

Every January the Government gets to decide which professions get to go on holidays at what time. They can then have great fun at the Dail Christmas Party deciding.

Early 2008 - errant solicitors and senior bankers get to go at the same time.

Spring 2008 - mortgage brokers and mortgage lender executives get to go at the same time.

:D

I'm refining my ideas before bringing them to Bertie with my Christmas dig-out envelope...

Every January the Government gets to decide which professions get to go on holidays at what time. They can then have great fun at the Dail Christmas Party deciding.

Early 2008 - errant solicitors and senior bankers get to go at the same time.

Spring 2008 - mortgage brokers and mortgage lender executives get to go at the same time. :D

Errant politicians..............holidays on indefinate hold...........

It appears that people in the financial services feel they need a dedicated holiday just for them. Well, what if all the time that these people spent on forums each working day was added up and then they were told that that was their holiday, they might get a lot more work done!

What about doctors, gardai, amy, navy, train/bus drivers, sure why don't we just close the country for two weeks every August.

It appears that people in the financial services feel they need a dedicated holiday just for them. Well, what if all the time that these people spent on forums each working day was added up and then they were told that that was their holiday, they might get a lot more work done!

What about doctors, gardai, amy, navy, train/bus drivers, sure why don't we just close the country for two weeks every August.

Lighten up for God's sake....It is a light hearted thread

Dont' people in financial services get bank holidays anyway ? Those are fairly regular and predictable throughout the year. And

, with respect to your clients (of which group I may become one day) , may I ask what kind of nutjob would call you on Christmas day looking for an insurance quote ? Unless you sell policies to Pakistan or China ? :confused:

Oh and whether this thread is meant to be light hearted or serious or whatever, I have to agree with colin79ie .

...may I ask what kind of nutjob would call you on Christmas day looking for an insurance quote ?

Thankfully, I don't get calls on Christmas Day. If an unknown number appears on my mobile, I'll ignore it. Although leghorn replied earlier in this thread that s/he does get and take calls on Christmas Day, which surprised me.

I do get calls on Saturdays, Sundays and after 9 p.m. - I only take them if it's been pre-arranged.

I enjoy the Christmas break for the very reason you mentioned - nobody rings me for a few days because everyone respects that it's a holiday. I just wondered if this concept couldn't be extended to other times of the year?

I can see I've been swimming against the tide on this one from the start...:eek:

In BOI we're not allowed access to the Internet, just our own Intranet system. Well the likes of Mike Soden was allowed & look at what it did for him !

The Motor Tax Office is one I can think of.

The desks for all motoring issues is open from 10-12 and 1.30-3.

Why does anyone need to go into the Motor Tax office when the whole thing can be done online !!

Back