Should Property Tax be frozen for those aged 66 +?

Tintagel

Should Property Tax be frozen for those in receipt of the Social Welfare Pension/turned 66 years of age?

Just wondering if this is the case in other countries. In some states in the USA this is the case.

No. The point of the property tax is to fund local services and widen the tax base.
I don't see the point of putting even more of the burden on those who are already paying income tax.

Pensioners and those nearing the age would probably say YES, most of those under 50 would probably say NO.

I am under 50 and answered NO, bearing in mind some day I hope to reach retirement age in ownership of a property.
It's a tax on property ownership, should have nothing to do with income. If you can't pay it, let it build up as a charge on the property when it is sold eventually.

No. The point of the property tax is to fund local services and widen the tax base.
I don't see the point of putting even more of the burden on those who are already paying income tax.
Sorry I didn't make myself clear. Should future increases in Property Tax be frozen for those aged 66. They would continue to pay at the rate they were paying at up to age 66.

Certainly shouldn't be a blanket exemption but it could be means based obviously. I don't really like the whole idea of tax on your principal residence anyway, I funded mine with after tax income already and feel it should not be taxed. I know the whole it funds other stuff but I'd actually just prefer to pay those extra charges in some way rather than be linked to my home that I have worked hard and paid for.

Sorry I didn't make myself clear. Should future increases in Property Tax be frozen for those aged 66. They would continue to pay at the rate they were paying at up to age 66.

This might work in some countries where they have a 'mature' bedded in Property Tax but I think it's too premature to even consider that for our rather crude and infant system.
I think also it might make sense for some jurisdictions in the US where a state \ municipality is concerned about "seniors flight" to e.g. Florida and would prefer to retain properties in their tax base - or indeed attract retirees. I don't think it makes sense for cities with growing populations.

I dislike any kind of means testing here because I'm not convinced at all about the fairness\accuracy of current Irish means testing and if you have missed someone on income tax then you would be doubling the mistake and also granting property tax exemptions \ discounts on the same flawed basis.

Back