should I tell neighbours that I am renting house

M

mousey

Hi,

Recently bought a 3 bed semi-d house in a Dublin suburb. I have tenants lined up when I take ownership. Should I introduce myself to the neighbours and tell them I am renting the house. Or should I just wait and see how things go. Any ideas.

absolutely tell them. it will work both ways. theyll have someone they can approach if theres any bother and you will have someone on the ground keeping an eye on things for you.

Nope. Absolutely not. They’ll just be hassling you if there’s a party or someone’s parking outside their house, or whatever. You’d just be inviting trouble for yourself.

A colleague who is a landlord told me recently how he makes a point of checking in with the neighbours of his rented properties to get feedback on the tenants.

Why would you want feedback on the tenants ? So long as the house is kept well and they're not pestering you with petty things, then they are perfect tenants. How the neighbours perceive them is of little interest.

By giving the neighbours your details, you're inviting a phone call every time the radio is left on too late, or there is some other minor nuisance that a nosy neighbour deigns you should sort out for them.

The less they know about your business, the better.

Should I tell the neighbours?

I agree with NoelC - I want my tenants to be happy and wouldn't want them to think that I had the neighbours spying on them.

It's up to me to inspect my properties and to ensure that all is in order.

For one property the local residents' association secretary has my contact details for garden maintenance payments etc. and can contact me if there is any serious anti-social behaviour.

By giving the neighbours your details, you're inviting a phone call every time the radio is left on too late, or there is some other minor nuisance that a nosy neighbour deigns you should sort out for them.

My colleague takes the view that if he looks after the neighbours by keeping in touch with him, they look after him by NOT chasing him for minor nuisances and keeping him informed of major problems when he needs them.

Seems to work for him...

He’s been lucky with the types of neighbours he has, I suppose, but that’s not always the case.

The thing is if they don’t have your contact details, the neighbours can’t contact you about petty things.

Personally, I’ve taken a phone call from a neighbour complaining about, amongst a long litany of other things, late night toilet flushing. Since then, I’ve made a point of not bothering the neighbours, and not inviting them to bother me either!

Seems to work for him...
Definitely think he's just very lucky, and fair play to him. My experience was a nightmare of calls from a neighbour constantly complaining about noise. He even claimed on one occasion he heard the tenants breaking internal doors and walls. I called round and asked to inspect the house; there was absolutely no damage. Plus, I often walked past late at night and never discovered anything noisey or otherwise untoward going on. The neighbour just basically didn't like the idea of the house being rented. He felt it lowered the value of his palace! Stay away from neighbours is my advise.

Have a bit of respect for your neighbours and go and tell them. I live next door to a rented house. The owners introduced themselves to us & gave us a contact number if we ever needed them. In 5 years, I've only rang them once.

If you own your house & live next door to a rented one it is a bit of a pain. For starters, people will never maintain it like they would if they lived there or if it was their own & there's always the risk of getting a few undesirables in. We've been lucky enough with our neighbours but still wish I wasn't next door to a rented house!

Lucy

Back