Shopping trip to Newry - 2008 advice?

There is a large toy store in The Quays complex. I found the prices there quite good. Its directly across the car-park from Sainsburys.

Could somebody please give details of where the Toysrus shop is please?

From previously being in the toy trade, I can say that you'll find smyths down south cheaper than toy r us in the North / UK. Smyths have now started opening in mainland UK as they know they can beat toys r us quite easily on price. - I have heard they are planning over 50 UK stores within the next 5 years! - Not bad considering they were a single corner shop in Claremorris not too many years ago!

Alot of the shops in newry will except euros @ a very good rate. If you do get stg, you can take advantage of the price difference in the major retail outlets like Debenhams. Ever noticed the price tags down here "shirt 20stg €79"?? Enjoy your shopping trip.

You can check out all Sainsbury's prices on their website before you go (, then click on the dept's you are interested in.

Just did a quick comparison from the above website and what I usually pay here.

Sainsbury's milk 2.27lt £1.53 = £0.67 per litre = £1.34 for a 2lt which in turn = €1.72 - local shop here €1.50

Standard eggs 18pk @ £1.80 = €2.30 - local shop here €2.00 for tray of 20.

I'd really do my homework first as the savings may not be that great!

By the way, my local shop is in Navan and it's not a multiple - just a small veg shop.

2L of milk for 1.50 euro in Navan??

I find that hard to believe.

Lidl/Tesco charge 1.65 for 2 litres.

What is the name of the shop in Navan that sells 2L of milk for 1.50??

Sainsbury's milk 2.27lt £1.53 = £0.67 per litre = £1.34 for a 2lt which in turn = €1.72 - local shop here €1.50

By the way, my local shop is in Navan and it's not a multiple - just a small veg shop.

Those are very good prices for those particular items. I too noticed that milk can be bought more cheaply in Dunnes than Sainsburys (if you buy own-brand versions). However, I did a much bigger price comparison using a receipt from Sainsburys and the Tesco website. On a selection of 28 branded items, Sainsburys were cheaper by €25.

Our major spend in Newry is on baby products. For example,.my smallie will only keep down Aptimil from a carton, she goes through approx 50 a week at the minute. It's €1.19 last I checked in all 4 main supermarkets in the South, 57p a carton in Sainsburys = approx €0.74. We stock up for 2 months at a time, that alone works out at around €180 saved over 2 months.

Throw in nappies, wipes, etc, + wine, household products etc and we estimate we save at least €500 a trip before fuel costs (and we drive a diesal) and we go every 2 months or so.

Well i went i shopped and ...... I'll never shop in the south again for sure. At least until the euro drops significantly against the pound.

Including petrol i saved 35% on 2 months shopping (bas perishables.

Filled the freezer. Stocked up on enough biscuits, dog food, cereals, jarred foods, toiletries etc for a couple of months as well as all the odd stuff you only buy every few minths like razor blades shaving cream etc.. Would have stocked up on booze too but the car was full. Going again tomorrow for that.

go to
www.Tesco.ie
and compare against

Its outrageous.
I even emailed Tesco the receipts and asked them how they indend to entice me back :)

Thanks everyone for your advice.

Dont tell me that those are the only items you bothered to compare :)
Why not compare your average shopping list ?

2L of milk for 1.50 euro in Navan??
I find that hard to believe.
Lidl/Tesco charge 1.65 for 2 litres.

What is the name of the shop in Navan that sells 2L of milk for 1.50??

I as a Navan resident can confirm that Market Fresh in Navan Shopping Centre ARE charging 1.50 euro for 2l of milk.

I had to smile on Saturday evening at the numbers of southern-registered cars filling up with petrol/diesel at the filling station opposite B&Q in Newry. If they haven't the savvy to buy their fuel south of the border where it is significantly cheaper, one wonders what sort of "bargains" they are getting in their shopping :)

What was the price of the fuel?

Over the weekend, I noticed unleaded for 99 pence sterling per litre on the outskirts of Armagh City. That converts to roughly 1.26 euro per litre, which is not "significantly" more than prices down south.

teddyk.

What was the price of the fuel?

Over the weekend, I noticed unleaded for 99 pence sterling per litre on the outskirts of Armagh City. That converts to roughly 1.26 euro per litre, which is not "significantly" more than prices down south.

teddyk.

I don't know how much it was but if it had been as low as 99 pence I would have noticed.
Even at that, it would still have been 10% or more expensive than in the South. Not great value.

HappyGirl,

I must have a look at that next time I'm in Navan SC.

Do you happen to know where the milk comes from? What brand?

Well i went i shopped and ...... I'll never shop in the south again for sure. At least until the euro drops significantly against the pound.

Including petrol i saved 35% on 2 months shopping (bas perishables.

Filled the freezer. Stocked up on enough biscuits, dog food, cereals, jarred foods, toiletries etc for a couple of months as well as all the odd stuff you only buy every few minths like razor blades shaving cream etc.. Would have stocked up on booze too but the car was full. Going again tomorrow for that.

go to
www.Tesco.ie
and compare against

Its outrageous.
I even emailed Tesco the receipts and asked them how they indend to entice me back :)

Thanks everyone for your advice.

I'm thinking to go north to buy booze for the Christmas ( beer, wines, whiskey) , do you think is worth?

Back