service before nct or later

blueshoes

hi my car is due for its nct soon it has another 8,000 miles to go before its next service is due. i am just wondering should i bother wasting money getting it serviced, or will i just put it thru and if it fails get the things it failed on fixed? how much is it anyway? its stupid if u ask me!! do u have to pay for a retest also?

They (NCT) recommend you time your service to coincide with your test date. Unless you think your car is likely to fail anyway, you should get it done beforehand to have the best chance of things like light alignment being okay.

Test costs €49 and a re-test that involves the equipment being used (i.e. anything but very basic stuff) costs €27.50.

More info on www.nct.ie

Yes. I've tried to time my services to match the NCT. Last time they garage gave me €1500 list of work that needed to be done to pass the NCT. I spent €500 getting the obvious stuff done & said I would come back with a shopping list after the NCT. The car passed fine.

Definitely before leaving into garage. When you see things like cover on pedal needing to be replaced etc. it would be best to conform to NCT requirements rather than garage pre-judging the situation and possibly getting more business therefore.

Just check the obvious stuff lights tyres wipers all the stuff that is easy diy.

My car went through fine 2 weeks ago even though it was 500 miles from a service being required. So thats 9,500 miles through the oil and filters no problem.

As people have said do the test first and see what need attention.

Good luck

hey guys tanx for the replies. i think i will put it through and see wot happens. the car seems fine to me. i have just had the car one month so im not to sure when it was last serviced but the garage put a sticker on it saying nxt service due at 80,000 was 70,000 when i bought it. i know i need new wiper blades cuz they are awful squeaky can i buy them and fit myself?

Back