serious illness cover

M

margaret1

Is it worth having serious illness cover at a premium of e140 per year? This is with a group scheme & will be reviewed every few years.There are a lot of rules re specific illnesses & terms of recovery etc.We have VHI medical cover so I hope(in an unfortunate event) we would not have to worry re hospital fees etc. Would be interested to hear the general view on serious ill ness cover?

e140 is very good value, depending on the coverage/terms & conditions. Might be worth your while to compare it to one of the packages available on the market.
Some people might say that it is a very negative way to lead your life, when you fork out money for eventualities like serious illness; others look at it as essential.
I personally took out serious illness cover. Even though hospital costs would be covered by VHI, there could be long-term costs, e.g. if you end up in a wheel chair permanently, you would need money to convert a car, make you house more wheelchair friendly, etc. If you have a family this would be particularly important.
As I said though, it is a personal decision.

Do they pay this out.

I have a friend who worked for an insurance company.
He told me that they to all that they can to avoid paying out serious ilness cover.
You just have to watch watch dog to see the kind of things they do to not pay out.
Its the last thing you want to hear if you do get a serious ilness

Re: Do they pay this out

They do that with every policy, even car insurance. The reason you don't hear it as much with car insurance claims is because it's less of a grey area.
Take following as an example in claim against a house insurance policy which covered flood damage: A river was close to bursting its banks and caused water to flood up through the sewerage and cause damage to the house. Because the river didn't actually break the banks it was not covered by the policy.
Insurance companies always look for technicalities and through their solicitors at it; and there's not many people who can afford a court case against an insurance company.

Re: Do they pay this out

Insurance companies always look for technicalities and through their solicitors at it; and there's not many people who can afford a court case against an insurance company.
The first step in such disputed cases would be a complaint to the [broken link removed] - no need to rush into court to resolve such disputes.

Back