Self-employed - what options for pension?

G

Grind

My wife has become self-employed in the last two years. While her venture is going well, she hasn't made any pension arrangements.

She's not a big fan of equities-based pensions as she doesn't like the idea of trusting her hard-earned wonga to some anonymus fund manager to whom she would not have any personal contact.

She favours property-related investments on the basis that the asset is tangible and self-managed. However, she's aware of the high-entry costs (stamp duty) and the tax inefficiencies (relative to pensions).

I have a vague recollection of a scheme whereby reguylar pension contributions can be used to buy property which, when paid for, provides an asset that the pension holder can either cash in or draw down from. If I recall correctly, this was only available to those with a fairly high income but I'm not certain.

Does anyone have any information on this type of pension? Thanks in advance.

> I have a vague recollection of a scheme whereby reguylar pension contributions can be used to buy property which, when paid for, provides an asset that the pension holder can either cash in or draw down from. If I recall correctly, this was only available to those with a fairly high income but I'm not certain.

Doe you mean like this?

Sounds to me like your wife should get some independent, professional advice. While she may not "like" equities or fund managers spreading pension savings over these (and perhaps other assets) could be a more prudent approach than sticking most or all of it in property just because the "likes" that better! Concentrating on a single asset class (property) and perhaps geographic location (Ireland, Dublin etc.) could be a lot riskier than spreading the investments more widely...

Back