Self Build with Under Floor Heating

jumper1

Hi , hoping to do a selfbuild next year and was thinking of using Underfloor Heating , but i have been given mixed reviews.

People say that it gives off great heat when it is on but it does take a few hours to heat up . So you could have a cold day , turn on the Underfloor heating , but it would not be warm until the next day but by that time it could be a scorcher of a day . To get around this it was mentioned to leave it on all the time at a low heat, but this would be very wasteful i think.

Is this all true or have things advanced .

Also can you put Underfloor heating under any type of timber/Tiles or do they still have to be specially made for the job.

Also has anyone installed an Air Source Heat Pump, nobody seems to have really used them and i only have read stuff from the Suppliers and they say they are the next best thing.

Thanks for any comments

Jumper

Is this all true or have things advanced .

All true i'm afraid. Leave it on all thru Winter and leave it off thru Summer.

Also can you put Underfloor heating under any type of timber/Tiles or do they still have to be specially made for the job.

Timber bad... Tiles good. If u have to use timber, use thin timber, make sure floor is flat and level before flooring, i.e. leveling compound..

Also has anyone installed an Air Source Heat Pump, nobody seems to have really used them and i only have read stuff from the Suppliers and they say they are the next best thing.
They are used in warm climates all year round. e.g. heating swimming pools in the canary islands or florida. Wouldn't be much good in Ireland in January or February. i.e. 5kw of electricity may only give you 5kw of heat. Great margins on them for the suppliers though as they have become allot cheaper in the last few years.

Back