Self build Laois

Well Abbica, the difference between the top and lower quotes I got was a massive 19k euro.

Personally I think you paid way over the odds, our price includes the 400mm centres, rockwool insulation throughout, solid red deal stairs, solid pine 6 panel doors, red deal skirting and architrave, slabs, felt and battens. I inspected timber frame kits from 3 companies to see the differences before I picked ours.
Noticely differnce in quality of timber, insulation, door etc. Some did not provide stairs.

Abbica..I'm presuming that you chose one of the better known companies operating in the Monaghan area. If I'm correct, it is common knowledge that they are at the upper end of the scale for no appreciable difference in quality. Having worked in the industry, I also know they fleece you on the extras. If its not too late, see if you can get a credit for the doors, architrave etc. & buy them yourself elsewhere. Typically, these companies just buy them from a 3rd party and add a crazy mark-up before selling onto you. Most probably though, they won't give you creidt for the full price included in your quote and only offer you a credit for the cost price of the items (i.e. the price they paid for them). If for no other reason, I'd ask if its possible to obtain a credit....that way, you'll know just how much they're making on these items at your expense.

Hi, yes top end company so you presumed right. Quality assured sucked us in!! plus you are right about the extra's, if I get another letter with a cost variation on it I am going to scream, I swear, at this stage our house has more iron in it than wood with our cranked portals and supports left right and centre but none the less, a very efficient company to deal with and the doors, skirting etc I got at a lower price than quotes from other companies so not soo bad, but nonetheless, still bad. Thanks for advice anyway, rang up himself and he is like, "oh, what can we do at this stage", which as you may imagine annoying but he is right, what can we do? Rule of thumb, shop around and get quotes, this is the only area we didn't do this with our build and looks like we will be paying for it!!

Its little consolation Abbica, but that same company really go to town on the Cost Variations. I've a little insight into how they charge but I don't want to compound your frustration! That said, with the steel supports, you know stucturally it will be sounds. Next time you feel like screaming, you may get some solace in that thought :) Glad (& surprised) to hear that you weren't fleeced on the doors etc. I expect some of their staff made an error in the pricing! I'm also building in the North East & would appreciate if you could share any insight you may have on other better deals you got along the way during your build, e.g.slates, electrical supplies, plumbing supplies, windows, glass blocks etc. Thanks, apple1

u doin UFH there apple1? I got ours in NI and did it myself. 4300 instead of 8k to Warmfloor :)

Got all the appliances on line too :)

Thanks YOP....i'm heading north too for the UFH. Much more competitve. Where did you go for appliances....Tradingpost?

Looked at trading post, but in the end bought the lot off a powerseller on Ebay. All either seconds or new. Not a problem with any of them.

Underfloordirect for the UFH.

Thanks Yop....you don't recall the seller by any chance? Also, noticed on your blog a cool trim on your glass block wall for your wetroom. Where did you pick it up? Really lends a nice finish to a great idea.

Thanks Apple1, I have very good taste :) Only kidding.

I got it locally here in Castlebar, brought the glass block for measurement, and then measured the amount of needed based on the glass wall. About 150 spots though, was dearer than expected.

I will pm you the sellers name, not sure if I am allowed to mention it here.

Seem like a great option for buying appliances. It says on the website they do not deliver to ireland. How did you get around that?? If you don't mind me asking.

As Abbica Stated, €330k for a 3,200 sqft build €103/sqft

The general guide line is €80 to €120/sqft depending on spec so at €220,000 you would be going well €76/sqft.

Builders currently pricing in and around €85 - €100/sqft.

Is that rate based on the nett or gross floor area? Is it VAT inclusive? What is the lightly cost per sqft for a bunglow as aposed to dormer?

Joejoe

They do ship to Ireland. On a pallet. Ask them for a quote based on a number of appliances.

Back