Self build Laois

johnjoeville

How much would a 2900 sqft house in Laois cost to build. I am thinking Timber frame or ICF. Standard Spec interior finishes.

For a timber frame, I am going to say €85,000 for the frame (includes insulation/doors etc, €20,000 for brick (nixer), €24,000 for good wooden windows, electrics €10,000, heating system €15,000 etc, estimating/guessing on the basis of what you use, put in your house, heating system chosen, whether you use brick or plaster etc, around €220,000ish not including kitchen units, flooring, etc. This is just going from what we are doing, building a timber frame house @ 3,200sqft, I deducted a bit off on your price and we are on our way over €330,000 but we have our aga, oak floors, good heating system, glass wall, just a few never have to do again treats along the way but that is when it starts to add up, when you try and fill the house!!
The key is to haggle, try and get the VAT back anyway you can, nixer work, contacts (most important), favours if you have a trade, otherwise the price will take off without you even noticing.

As Abbica Stated, €330k for a 3,200 sqft build €103/sqft

The general guide line is €80 to €120/sqft depending on spec so at €220,000 you would be going well €76/sqft.

Builders currently pricing in and around €85 - €100/sqft.

Hi guys, first post. just wondering if these prices are just for construction, or do they include land purchase as well. I'm lucky enough to have a site already, so don't have to factor that in. am i right in assuming the €80 to €120 psqf figures are excluding the site purchase?

HI Abbica,

Would really appreciate if you could expand or provide a broad breakdown of your spend thusfar. Starting out on a similar build (TF & size) & trying to establish budgets for respective areas of spend as going the direct labour route, e.g.
Slates (Natural or fibre)
Heating (UFH or rads)
Boiler (pellet, oil or geo)
etc., etc.
Thanks in advance.

Hi JohnJoe, what I can tell about our build. The expense!! I can only give you our budgeted and costs prices as everything isn't bought or done yet.
Natural slate, I don't know the price yet.
Because it is timber frame, we are going for a passive house with a heat recovery unit, solar panels for water only and an oil condensing boiler. No rads. €23,000ish. If you want to find out about this I discussed this on a previous thread, just search heat recovery units or something along those lines. The plumber to do our bathrooms and install this, he hasn't got back yet with his quote, can't seem to get any of them to get back with a quote actually but it is looking like €15,000.
For the red brick and the builders to do it €38,000.
Scaffolding €4,500. Foundations at completed stage, we had a lot of nixer work, favours but it cost us €10,000 plus materials. Electrics will probably come in around €10,000. Plastering we are going to say €12,000. Velux windows x 9 - €4800. Sewer treatment and installation €7,000. Roofing/Flashing/Ventilation €13,000.
The rest I said above re price of TF etc and the remainder are all extra's eg., hire of cement mixers, gravel for drive, pipes for ground, water connection, esb connection, window sills, interior flooring, gutters/downspouts etc. Trust me, the list goes on! But whatever you can do, do it yourself and try any contact you can. If you have a business contact, when purchasing flooring etc go up the north and get the vat back through their business. The prices if researched can be way cheaper than here.

Hi - Nearly there with my self build.

An idea of costs would be 80 to 120 euro per sq foot.
I have a 3100sq ft dormer,

Costs to date is 185k.

Left is a kitchen with appliances - 10k.
Furnishings - 6k (1 bedroom, dining room, and sitting room - basics)
Wood burning stove - 1.5k
Floors - 4k
Sanitary ware - 12k. 5 bathrooms.

So in the end i say the figure will be up to 250k in no time.
Kildarebuild

Hi, I am getting quotes from building contractors for a 2800 sq ft house and getting quotes of 270K to 285K with just a builders finish incl garage. Expect to pay 50-75K extra for Internal finish bring it to 330K ish. Contractors charging 48K just to prep site and 60 yard drive way. I would rather go self build but the misses is expecting and its going to be hard juggle both.
I just feel we're being ripped off by Building Contractors.
Hope to go with the Solar and underfloor route also.

How much would a 2900 sqft house in Laois cost to build. I am thinking Timber frame or ICF. Standard Spec interior finishes.

Selfbuilding at the moment. roof just finished timber work .felt next 3300 ft traditonal block build house. looked at ICF,s , house only as good as weakest link on insulation so decidet to put extra budget into windows
hope to build 3300 for 300k including bathroom suits kitchen units etc. Think poss . Joe

2100 sq ft.
TF - 34000
Plastering - 7000
Blocks - 4500
UFH - 4500
Geothermal - 12300 (Ex grant)
Windows - 8000
Kitchen 5500

Total cost inc complete fit of house 160k euro

Direct labour lad, very direct including myself Takes loads of quote and haggling. Haggle Haggle Haggle!!!

Hi, can I just ask or does anyone know but is €74,000 expensive for timber frame house 3,100sqft, supply and shell erection plus insulation??

Seems on the high side Abbica, I got quoted 34k for a 2,500 sq ft house, but I don't know what the quality would have been liked.

Hi Abbica

I recently received quotes for a TF build, 3100 sq ft also and my prices were
a good 10-15K less (incl insulation). Where in the country are you?

hi, I am in Monaghan, in total with the doors, architrave, amendments etc it is adding to and extra €20,000 inc VAT, we have already paid them the 2 payments, ahhhhh, so contracted to them, I think I should have looked around but that is no use to us now, gullible or what!!! Or expensive laziness should I say.