Security staff on LUAS

I don't know anything about Irish law in this regard. Is it true that assault must include a physical attack? Taking it to the extreme, what would happen if a bunch of men surrounded a woman in such a manner and wouldn't let her leave?

Putting someone in fear for their safety is assault. There doesnt actually have to be contact.

But it has to be an arrestable offence. That is an offence where the max penalty is 5 years in jail or more.

I wasn't aware Ireland really had a right of citizen's arrest and had simply assumed whenever it was mentioned that it was another American-ism, like people calling the right lane on the motorway a "fast lane".

So what kind of restrictions does it come with and perhaps more importantly, how exposed is the arrester if they make a mistake? If I arrest someone because I see them robbing an old woman's purse but it later turns out they were enacting a scene from a play, could I be in trouble?

The relevant power of arrest is here:

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1997/en/act/pub/0014/sec0004.html#zza14y1997s4

One must have reasonable cause to believe the arrested person has committed an arrestable offence - so I suppose it's down to what the courts would regard as reasonable in any given situation.

Coming back to the topic of the thread, since presumably the penalty for evading Luas fares is not five years in prison, it would appear the ticket inspectors have no power to detain fare dodgers.

I really would have thought (very possibly naively) that security staff/ticket inspectors/drivers of the Luas would have very clear guidelines of what they can and cant do in these situations. To protect Luas as well as themselves and the passenger. That said, I cant find this info on line.

another American-ism, like people calling the right lane on the motorway a "fast lane".
Eh? There are no fast lanes on US highways as far as I know and all lanes are created equal (which is why being overtaken on both sides can be so unnerving when you don't expect it!).

Eh? There are no fast lanes on US highways as far as I know and all lanes are created equal (which is why being overtaken on both sides can be so unnerving when you don't expect it!).

It's something of a colloquism I'm sure and I've never driven myself in the US but I always thought there was a far left lane for overtaking, with the far right hand lane used for slower traffic and traffic looking to exit.

I know of a young lady who evaded the LUAS fare on two ocassions (just "chancing her arm") and was followed by an official and given an on-the-spot fine. I doubt if the official would risk doing the same with maybe a druggie or someone who might be aggressive or perhaps violent. Fair play I thought, the girl in question could well afford the fare and she won't be doing that again!

It's something of a colloquism I'm sure and I've never driven myself in the US but I always thought there was a far left lane for overtaking, with the far right hand lane used for slower traffic and traffic looking to exit.
Not in my experience.

I wonder if had they installed in carriage ticket validators requiring public validation of all tickets after boarding would it have helped to cut down on such spongers chancing their arms?